Anonymous Threatens to Attack the Internet Sat., March 31

Status
Not open for further replies.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Wont work, most people do not use the root servers.

The non root servers cache DNS records from the DNS servers so the only harm taking out the root servers will do is stop people from getting the correct IP for a website if they were to change their IP address.

For example, if you are using your ISP's DNS server and anon takes out the root servers. Google.com will still take you to google, but if google for some reason decided to change their IP address during the attack, then you would have trouble accessing it.

The access to the DNS servers are also based on location so the attack will have to be carried out on all 13 servers from 13 different locations that are close to the servers.

Not to mention that each of the 13 roots are massive server farms with a connection with a massive throughput. Their attack will be the equivalent of taking down google 13 times.

Remember the 13 root servers are responsible for updating the DNS records for the entire internet

To take down the 1 servers, you will need to get like half of the Internet attacking those servers.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
It's like terrorists trying to get their point across by starting a thermonuclear warfare.

Nobody wins, and whoever thinks he/she won will get to enjoy a bittersweet victory in solitary confinement, because everyone else will be dead.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Good luck with that....

Just taking out the root servers does nothing.... You would also have to take out the Authoritive servers for each domain...

And on top of that, you would have to keep the attack up for at least 12 hours so that when the authoritive servers flush, which is every 12 hours or so, they would have nothing to refill their list.
Depending on setup, servers will just fall back to their original list till the root servers come back online...

In other words, this is just a big waste of time. The DNS system was designed for this sort of thing.

aoneone

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
yay! *busts out the popcorn and all offline entertainment*. please shut it down forever so we can move on with nature! ^_^

isoomega

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
All the support till now that Anon had will go down the toilet. I never supported them from the beginning now much less with this act of cyberterrorism....... and yes I mean CYBERTERRORISM no other way to say this. If they succeed in dropping all 13 root server, all hell is going to break loose.
(So going to get thumbs down with this , lol)

loneninja

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
I'll laugh if I don't have internet this weekend, cause I don't believe it'll happen. If it does i'll just go outside and enjoy the weather lol

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
Yawns.

This is just a scare tatic to get people's attention over nothing.

Just like the other threats such as taking down Facebook which didn't happen.

Move along folks. There is nothing to see here.

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Please FBI take out anyomous one person at a time, i dont care if theres 100000 people they all deserve to get arrested and punished for there crimes against society. They are no better than extremists trying to force "new world order" on people.

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
[citation][nom]mightymaxio[/nom]Please FBI take out anyomous one person at a time, i dont care if theres 100000 people they all deserve to get arrested and punished for there crimes against society. They are no better than extremists trying to force "new world order" on people.[/citation]
You sound as stupid as you are deluded. Smh..

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
i pose this, what if law makers wanted this to happen to push forth a bill that would be able to sneak in censorship like programs in the future, they could let this happen, america gets mad, and a law that ultimately screws us goes through.

Status
Not open for further replies.