Anonymous Threatens to "Destroy" Facebook in November

Status
Not open for further replies.

gammerx

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
It is slowly ruining people's lives. It is a great way to connect, and computers are great devices. The digital world is taking us over completely though. Anonymous has pretty much only done good. They are the voice of the people, because now adays you can go on yahoo and other news websites, and read articles about government stories and situations. Check the comments. People rant about the government being corrupt etc. and say how that in can be fixed. Words are words though, these people do nothing!!! Anonymous is doing something about it though, they are standing up to corrupt society. As long as that is their goal and not to ruin the lives of the innocent civilians and lower/middle classes, I support them.

wintermint

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
Sometimes I feel Facebook has a hidden agenda. They have loads of people uploading their personal info up. They DO know more about them than their families. Who knows how FB is using this info... :p BUT i blame the addicted FB users.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
This is OLD news. I just read somewhere else that Anonymous said they are NOT planning to attack FB and that such claims might have been voiced by some Anonymous members and then mistakenly tied to the whole group.

In case they DO take down FB... maybe then I'll stop facepalming as some of my friends will poke or message me instead of coming over to my house. Admit it, Facebook doesn't hold any real value.

That said, why wait till November? To build up anticipation? Lol, they sound like they just want to draw attention instead of accomplishing something...

Also, I fail to understand how FB makes money. There're no ads (or is it my Adblock's fault? xD) and it's free. Yet it is valued in millions of dollars... shows where money concentrate in this pitiful world - in virtual, non-existent, delusional content. Not even digital movies or music, but simply a website that allows people to waste time in front of the screen instead of visiting their friends IRL.

If FB gets pwnd, it will be epic - from one side - since it's a multi-million-user service, and its fall will make a LOT of people unhappy (for no reason, lol). From the other side, this is too far and I don't see the point of taking it down... if the people want to "get raped and delusioned" by FB, then it's their choice, as dumb as it is, and it's not up to some hacker to decide for them.

znegval

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Whether it is a good thing or not to have Facebook destroyed, it is not going to happen. They can't do it. I wonder if they have hidden intentions behind that message. Perhaps a distraction from another real target?

flaminggerbil

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
Finally, Anonymous you're actually doing something a little more interesting then hacking random game forums just for the sake of it.

Although I'd bet money against it happening, would love to see Facebook crash and burn.

MrBig55

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
Facebook wasn't made for the public, but for authority to spy the world as the policemen gets a specialized facebook interface that let's them know everything you say to others, they see what everyone possible criminals looks like and then knows their family ties. There is no privacy on facebook so get it down at long last!!!

flaminggerbil

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]That said, why wait till November? To build up anticipation? Lol, they sound like they just want to draw attention instead of accomplishing something...[/citation]

Remember remember the 5th of November
Gunpowder treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot.

My guess is that.

G

I wouldn't mind Facebook going away, it's a waste of bandwidth and electricity.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Also, I fail to understand how FB makes money. There're no ads (or is it my Adblock's fault? xD) and it's free. Yet it is valued in millions of dollars... shows where money concentrate in this pitiful world - in virtual, non-existent, delusional content. Not even digital movies or music, but simply a website that allows people to waste time in front of the screen instead of visiting their friends IRL.[/citation]

That is the thing, you DON'T see how Facebook gets its money. You're not a customer, you're the product. The real Facebook customers are the companies and advertisers who they sell your information to.

Being as large and widespread as Facebook is, they earn tons through selling your data to advertisers. Sure some comes in through ads on their site, but the most you might not see since they collect your info from what you do on Facebook.

Not using a real name? That's okay, they match the data from one supplier with data from others and make links to show connections. Enough of them and they can tie your persona to other personas in databases they buy. Buy enough of them and they know just about everything there is to know about you.

Credit card companies sell your data, banks sell your data, Facebook sells your data, Grocery stores sell your data, ISPs sell your data... etc... all one has to do is connect the dots. Say you remark about taking a plane trip to Chicago? Match with people who flew to Chicago on that day and your credit card data is matched to your persona. if you remark how you like product X at store Y? Purchase data from store Y matched to your persona.

I'd wager that if people knew what some advertisers really knew about people's habits and lives, they'd be scared.

Status
Not open for further replies.