another keyboard gone rogue

gb1503

Estimable
Jan 9, 2016
OK ive seen threads about keyboards doing all sorts of crazy ish... mine is simple HP G6 notebook. started having problems after i cleaned it a month and a half ago, still having issue... so it isnt water i dont think. it types a vertical row of letters example if you type j it will type jmu, all the way across the keyboard for most letters, like f will be fvr, you get the idea, but some dont work at all... ive tried all the settings and such, was thinking even though laptop was off when i cleaned it i might have pushed a key sequence that changed something im missing. any help would be appreciated, thank you in advance

Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help in solving that problem with your keyboard.
- Start by uninstalling/reinstalling the keyboard driver.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the keyboard driver then reboot your laptop. It will reinstall the driver automatically.
- If all these will not work try an external keyboard and see if the same problem will persist because if it will not happen you'll need to do a complete factory reset.
- Lastly you may need to open your laptop again and reseat the ribbon cable that connects the keyboard to the motherboard.
- And if the factory reset will not work the only solution would be to replace the keyboard itself.

gb1503

Estimable
Jan 9, 2016

gb1503

Estimable
Jan 9, 2016
very interesting and different / good ideas. ive been trying to work a restore out but there arent any prior to the incident... i still havent come up with what might have caused the problem to begin with. BTW , i have been using a USB keyboard with said laptop since it happened, with no issues... but i kept the on screen keyboard in taskbar just in case, and last night my wireless keyboard started to do it also. i opened the onscreen keyboard and saw the config wasnt standard qwerty , somehow it had changed to something else... same as my laptop, and in turn was now affecting my wireless keyboard. somehow im not sure what i did, either closed it or got the onscreen keyboard back, and now my wireless keyboard is fine. laptop still having issues. thats what gave me hope there was a easy fix... i know just enough about computers to get me in trouble, but not enough to resolve all issues. i really appreciate your time and thought on my matter... i will try the steps and keep you posted.