Another m11x vs MBA 2011 11" question help me choose

nauticar_12

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
Hi all, this is my first post.

1. What is your budget?
Not applicable, since I have both the prices and can afford both (although the MBA 2011 is much, much more expensive).

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Nothing above 12".

3. What screen resolution do you want?
Does not matter.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable. Ultra-portable in fact.

5. How much battery life do you need?
Around 6 hours

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
No games whatsoever to be played on this laptop.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
This laptop is solely for work on the go, meaning I will use it exclusively for web-surfing, Office applications, editing in Picasa and some video editing (nothing major).

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
Below 80GB.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
The m11x (R2) is from a forum, is used and is going for around $500. The MBA 11" (2011) is from Apple Store.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
I've had my Dell Inspiron since 2005 and still using it now, so I think I will want to keep this laptop for a very long time.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
No need for these.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
No preference, although it might be useful to note that have always been a Windows user.

13. What country do you live in?
Singapore

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I am currently using a netbook for work but I realize that the Intel Atom + integrated graphics are too slow for me (some flash websites hang and take time to load, even on home wifi). The RAM is maxed out and it's even on an SSD now but it's still slow - hence I am looking for a much faster system.

Speed is the number one priority - I am a multi tasker and I need the system to be ultra fast. I need it to be up and running, connected to the internet within a couple of minutes on the go (current netbook takes ages to detect my tethering wifi).

Battery life is next in importance, around 6 hours with multi window surfing and Picasa editing. No gaming at all.

The m11x I'm looking at is a used R2, has an i5 inside it (and I plan to upgrade the motherboard to an i7-a $250 'investment') and has no more warranty. I am aware of the hinge problem, which does not affect this laptop.

The MBA 2011 is new from Apple online, and I plan to choose the i7 + 4GB RAM option. Why, because they are not upgradable once I choose, and I like to future proof my purchase because I will keep the system for a long time. I know that might sound like a waste of money but that's what I plan to do. MBA 2011 will cost me about $1600, three times as much as the m11x R2 I plan to get. Its more expensive but it's brand new.

I am aware of the form factor these two machines come in. Weight is not much of an issue although everybody will agree that it's easier to carry a lighter machine around with you. In my opinion, the MBA design trumps the m11x and I like it, but that's just aesthetic. The backlit keyboard is very important, which is why I dumped the idea of getting a cheaper MBA 2010.

I am also concerned with the laptop being durable - I carry my current netbook a lot with me when I'm out of the house.

I've read several threads and reviews of m11x vs mba but I still can't decide. Please help! Sorry if it's a long post.

nauticar_12

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011

Hi WR2 thanks for the heads up on the Asus, to which I am actually partial (I have gone through and used at least three of their motherboards on my previous desktop rigs). However it seems that this is a new product and battery life is questionable and after reading up on several reviews (including the one you linked-thank you), I think I have to dig up more info on real-life user feedback (Asus claims 5+ hours of usage time on the UX21; Hothardware's test gives a real-world browsing time of slightly over 4hours). Also, the specs are impressive and definitely gives more value than a simililarly specced MBA 2011 but alas...the backlit keyboard isnt found on the former, which to me puts it at a similar category as an MBA 2010 (of which there are used ones for sale in excellent condition but are less expensive). I'll definitely put this on the list though :D

nauticar_12

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011

Hi jaguarskx - thanks for your reply. Yeah, that warranty thing really bugs me. I mean, an m11x, what do you do with it? You probably will play games with it - which probably means the thing has been oc'ed. And the used one I'm eyeing has zero warranty left from Dell. The previous owner is a little dodgy too when I'm asking for the history but his price is just too good (yet not too absurdly low to suspect something is amiss).

I'd like to know the other reasons why you chose the MBA though (besides the warranty thing) :)

Other than the warranty, the 11" MBA is also lighter which means carrying it around would be less of a pain. However, I prefer a Windows based laptop over a Mac OS laptop/ultrabook.

Most ultrabooks are around the $1,000 mark so the price difference vs. a MBA is rather small. But I think I read somewhere that Sony will be releasing an ultrabook near the $2,000 mark.

nauticar_12

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
Thanks very much to all who have offered their opinion. I have decided, after much thinking, to go for the MBA in the end. The m11x seller went missing in action; Asus Zenbook was a close second but the absence of the backlit keyboard was the deal breaker (not withstanding the problems had with the wifi and trackpad). Also, apple had a sale online a few days back where i live so...i guess everything fell into place =)