Another One Bites the Dust: T-Mobile Kills Sidekick

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrharbort

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
My sister enjoyed using these phones, and I've often had to clean the internal components and the trackball on her LX and older models (that's some nasty stuff XP). Just told her that T-mobile is dropping the series, she's a bit disappointed.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Sidekicks suck and even though they suck people keep stealing them.

Here in NY, I will often see people chatting on their sidekick while on the bus then when the bus stops, someone will run and grab the sidekick and run away and by the time the person gets up and takes in what happened, the criminal is long gone.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
im a teen. but have no disire to get an iphone

touchscreens are only really usefull if you use your phone for web browsing and most touch screen phones dont have physical keyboards which is anoying i guess ill have to wait for a cheap oen with a qwerty keyboard to come out

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
[citation][nom]shanky887614[/nom]im a teen. but have no disire to get an iphone touchscreens are only really usefull if you use your phone for web browsing and most touch screen phones dont have physical keyboards which is anoying i guess ill have to wait for a cheap oen with a qwerty keyboard to come out[/citation]

motorolla droid is the answer to your prayers.

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Razor512[/nom]Sidekicks suck and even though they suck people keep stealing them.Here in NY, I will often see people chatting on their sidekick while on the bus then when the bus stops, someone will run and grab the sidekick and run away and by the time the person gets up and takes in what happened, the criminal is long gone.[/citation]

time to wake up. when you feel the bus ready to stop, get ready and put a hand on your gun. Oh wait, you live in NYC? Sorry bout your bad luck chump. You're screwed. The rest of us will be ok. sucx2bu.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Gun?

Oh, by the time you reach for your gun, perhaps the criminal will have put a bullet in your head.

Or a normal person could simply put their phone down, in their pocket.

You, of course would most likely end up in jail for killing someone over a $75 phone, if said person didn't kill you.

rmm64

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
Can't say I'm surprised nor disappointed. Got my wife a Sidekick 08 early last year and the thing didn't even last one year. Always dropped calls, weak battery that died after 5-6 hours, and that's just with normal calling and texting, no web at all. Just picked us both up the new MyTouch 3G Slide, which IS a touchscreen with full physical keyboard, and we're totally loving them. Great phone.

Goodbye Sidekick...you won't be missed!

skatt3rbrain

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Sidekick was an awesome platform--I had a sidekick 2 and an LX 2007, and they were both great for their time, but they didn't keep up with technology from 2007 on--both software wise (no good apps) and hardware wise (weak battery and weak cpu). Their keyboards were the best I've ever had the pleasure of using, though, and the browser was the best mobile browser I used for years. RIP

G

Disappointed! Love my Sidekick3, wanted to upgrade to a next model sidekick as my sidekick3 is rather old and getting buggy, and because it has the phone (really, data) plan that is affordable to me on my fixed income, only to be informed today that there are no logner any sidekicks and I will have to change to an entirely different phone model series (i.e. Blackberry), and won't be able to stay on my $30/month current data plan, it'll go up to $50/month if I want to still have all the same features in my plan. That may seem cheap to many of you, but to me it means having to continue using my old glitchy sidekick3 for at last another year (more like another 3 years!). I'm very depressed by this.

Status
Not open for further replies.