Anti-IE6 Ads: You Wouldn't Drink Old Milk

Status
Not open for further replies.

lashabane

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
9 year old milk? mmmm, cheese :)

I really wish people would do away with IE6 altogether. I don't care what browser they go to as long as it's something current.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Since IE6 did a shit job of complying with web standards, there are many companies running around with older corporate software that only works on IE6. Updating that old software in this economic climate, would be pretty burdensome.

Updating to IE8 destorys the IE6 installation, and methods to get both browsers installed at the same time are iffy at best. So... for a modern browser, the best solution is to install something like Firefox, Chrome, or even Opera. These adds will probably hurt Microsoft.

That's what they get for integrating the browser into the OS the way they did. Looks like its finally catching up with them.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
@Excalibur
Dude, I just explained why they CAN'T upgrade to ie7 or ie8. It would break compatibility with older applications designed around ie6.

unknown_13

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Can't believe someone is still using IE6...
I personally stick to Firefox, tried Chrome, but then switched back to Firefox when 3.5 camed out. Currently on 3.6. Tried Chrome 5 Beta, same speed as FF 3.6.3.

But i'm curious what will they do with IE9... might give it a try when it comes out, i haven't touched IE in a year of so because it's relatively slow, even to open a single tab takes 2 seconds. On FF and Chrome they open the same moment i press the new tab button.

MrHectorEric

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
The company I work for is global and just about all business applications are web based and built around IE6. Just for kicks I tried upgrading to IE7 for a while, nothing worked and it was impossible for me to be productive so I moved back to IE6. I don't think this company will ever leave IE6 behind as it might very well cost hundreds of millions. It's so sad that even new applications are built to run only in IE6.

G

Hmmm, Toms Hardware/Guide seems to be putting out these articles late. I've read about this one in particular two or three days ago I think.

What really needs to be done is to push website developers to make pages that aren't compatible with IE6. Anything that's compatible with IE6 seems to get screwed up on other browsers.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
You shouldn't have to code for a particular web browser. You code to a web standard. Then all browsers comply to that standard. Too bad Microsoft bollocks up IE6 so bad with it's deviation from standards. IE6 is it's own proprietary web "standard" and if you coded an app for IE6, it won't run on any browser other than IE6. Talk about vendor lock-in. This should be a lesson to developers everywhere to ONLY support open standards.

djcoolmasterx

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
As a web developer a large chunk of my time is spent on compatibility and I would love for IE6 and 7 to be abandoned for IE8&9, Firefox, Opera and Chrome. I still provide functional support for IE6 because many people are forced to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.