Question Anti-Virus & Anti-Malware Questions

Aug 21, 2021
When I was a kid, my grandpa bought Norton Anti-Virus for me. A premium version of Malwarebytes was also acquired by him.

Then a few years later, I find myself relying entirely on Windows Defender. Would a premium solution or a mix of solutions function better than Windows Defender in terms of detecting and cleaning up viruses and other malicious software? No, I'm not a newbie when it comes to computers or security, but I've never delved into anti-virus.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Actually, Windows Defender is no worse than the paid applications, or the other free ones.

The best AV is the squishy stuff between your ears, but Win Defender is just fine as a software solution.
Agreed, 100% on both points. Like USAFRet, I would be considered an "advanced user" and Defender is what I rely upon on all of my Windows systems. Zero issues.

BEAUFORD_SAVAGE

Prominent
Sep 6, 2020
Agreed, 100% on both points. Like USAFRet, I would be considered an "advanced user" and Defender is what I rely upon on all of my Windows systems. Zero issues.
As someone who does repairs of both hardware and software issues of all kinds, including bailing out those with ransomware, and no back up, I am also an advanced user.
So you believe that the Bitdefender and Malwarebytes that play well together that I use is a waste of money? This is a serious question, and with an open mind. I do use Torrent services. Both applications catch all sorts of things, but I REALLY don't know if I am getting my moneys worth, as Microsoft IS the manufacturer of our O.S.'s
Also, I regularly do hard drive cloning with Acronis when I know everything is working right, and freshly scanned by both AV programs. That I would do regardless in case my C drive fails. With the cloning, it would never take me more than 5 minutes to get back to a exact same system, no matter what happens. C drive is OS and engineering and other programs only, other drives contain all my data.
Your thoughts Guru's?

USAFRet

Illustrious
I used to use BitDefender. Until it no longer let me access my router.
So out it went...just Windows Defender.

And Malwarebytes for the occasional malware scan.

Backups?
Not a full clone. I have 7 drives in this system, so actual clones is out of the question.
As well as multiple systems.

Instead, Full/Incremental/Differential images, with Macrium Reflect.
Run nightly or weekly, depending on the system.
Keep for a full 30 days, deleting the eldest.
Each drive and system on its own schedule.
All saved to a folder tree in my QNAP NAS.

Recovery of any drive individually is easy.
And Macrium lets you mount an Image as a drive letter, if you want to extract one single file.

AlHuneke

Commendable
Jul 7, 2020
I have used Defender for years with zero issues. I am cautious about what I click on, never open obviously bogus emails, don't run pirated software, turn on all the MS security options, etc. Last comparison testing I saw some years ago had Defender (called something else back then) as just as good as the paid services. None were perfect and each had their own different faults. The best thing you can do is backup to an offline drive (better to use 2 in rotation).

BEAUFORD_SAVAGE

Prominent
Sep 6, 2020
I used to use BitDefender. Until it no longer let me access my router.
So out it went...just Windows Defender.

And Malwarebytes for the occasional malware scan.

Backups?
Not a full clone. I have 7 drives in this system, so actual clones is out of the question.
As well as multiple systems.

Instead, Full/Incremental/Differential images, with Macrium Reflect.
Run nightly or weekly, depending on the system.
Keep for a full 30 days, deleting the eldest.
Each drive and system on its own schedule.
All saved to a folder tree in my QNAP NAS.

Recovery of any drive individually is easy.
And Macrium lets you mount an Image as a drive letter, if you want to extract one single file.

I have 5 drives in my system, but I only clone the C drive. And My MAIN important data drive. The other drives I could live with a failure.

BEAUFORD_SAVAGE

Prominent
Sep 6, 2020
If that works for you, that is great.
Most people don't think about it until 5 minutes after they need it.
As someone who repairs computers for others, most people I deal with have no back-up at all, and don't think about it.
When they have gotten ransome ware, they lose everything, and as you know, computers don't come with original system CD's anymore.
So they have to buy a new OS for me to fix their stuff. Just more billable hours for me. I do suggest, and they almost always get a separate drive I clone
for them that they keep outside their computer.
I also have Macrium Reflect, and will now set-up differential back-up per your idea, for the drives I don't clone.
So thanks for that thought.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Antivirus / Security / Privacy 2
C Antivirus / Security / Privacy 4
T Antivirus / Security / Privacy 6
frostin71 Antivirus / Security / Privacy 4
Me. Opanak Antivirus / Security / Privacy 1
S Antivirus / Security / Privacy 1
DCB007 Antivirus / Security / Privacy 4
N Antivirus / Security / Privacy 5
N Antivirus / Security / Privacy 6
F Antivirus / Security / Privacy 2