Antitrust Police Investigating Apple/Google Relationship

Status
Not open for further replies.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Thank you. This has been a long time coming. Google shouldn't get to push applications through the app store that break the app store rules. No one else gets to.

starryman

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
There's always a bad Apple lurking. Google tricked us - coming off as the innocent search engine focused on the best possible search results. Once they became the biggest they gave us the holy grail, AdWords. Now everywhere I go I see Google ads in all corners of webpages. There's even a google ad right above and below my comment box as I write.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Interesting. Could this be why Google didn't license multi-touch from Apple for Android? Nah, probably not, but still, this is why the FTC needs to investigate, you can't say for sure what is and isn't a conflict of interest until you dig a little deeper. Also good to see someone besides Microsoft taking a little heat.

starim

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
How can Apple and Google be competing with browsers and mail clients when these services are given away for free? They're not really competing in an economic sense.

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
I see no mention of phone sales which is the real push behind the FTC investigation. I think they could care less about advertising sales and free services. They are more concerned over products that cost money like the iPhone and Android OS becoming industry standards between two companies that have the same executives in charge. Hello price fixing!

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I find it odd that they share directors. They are very different companies: Google's motto is all open source and about giving people options and features; Apple is about style over substance and about locking you into their proprietary world.

norbs

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Thank you. This has been a long time coming. Google shouldn't get to push applications through the app store that break the app store rules. No one else gets to.[/citation]

Sorry not familiar with this what rules were broken? I haven't heard about this.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
norbs-

The search application Google released violates about five or six different rules for third party apps. It would be beyond impossible for a regular developer like myself to replicate the search application google released to the app store. It would be rejected, immediately, because of multiple rules I have broken. That right there is anti-competitive.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]norbs-The search application Google released violates about five or six different rules for third party apps. It would be beyond impossible for a regular developer like myself to replicate the search application google released to the app store. It would be rejected, immediately, because of multiple rules I have broken. That right there is anti-competitive.[/citation]
Well if you're coding for the Apple regime, you've accepted unfair treatment as part of the working enviroment. I'm with ya on the google part, but still. When you work for a dictator, don't be surprised if one day he shoots you in the foot for fun - that's a dictators right to do.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]starim[/nom]How can Apple and Google be competing with browsers and mail clients when these services are given away for free? They're not really competing in an economic sense.[/citation]
Not only that, but it's not like they are the only options, or even the most popular.

The only think I think needs to be worried about is Android, but even then, if they decide the attempt price fixing, they'll just lose business to Windows Mobile.

Status
Not open for further replies.