Antivirus and antimalware scanning for too long

NoPuhi

Estimable
Jan 26, 2016
So i just ran a malwarebytes scan on a laptop that my family uses. The laptop ran AVAST as security but i decided to install malwarebytes and BitDefender instead, since i had bad experiences with the free version of AVAST.
I tried to run the bitdefender manual scan first, but it just looked that it was stuck on scanning C:/
and doing nothing. I disabled that and ran a full malwarebytes scan. It has been running, and still is, for 4 and a half hours. the funny thing is that the laptop only has 309GB memory occupied. when i run malwarebytes on my PC it usually takes 45mins to perform a scan and i have around 700gb, if not more, occupied. does anyone have any idea whats going on here? The laptop does run a bit slow, but nothing extreme.

Solution
If it's a 1st time run and it seems it is, it can take a while. Maybe give it overnight. Of course if there's something evil lurking on the machine, that's another story... But give Malwarebytes/BitDefender more time first?

hornirl

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2014
If it's a 1st time run and it seems it is, it can take a while. Maybe give it overnight. Of course if there's something evil lurking on the machine, that's another story... But give Malwarebytes/BitDefender more time first?

Solution