Any Advantages to Having a TV, Blu-Ray Reader and Receiver of Same Brand?

rapman4488

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013
My father and I are thinking of buying a new TV, Blu-Ray disc reader, and receiver. We have found a great receiver and disc reader. They are both Sony. Because of this, my dad wants to get a Sony TV thinking that the remote will be universal and work with all. However, Sony has ridiculously overpriced 1080p 50" TVs and I am eying a great 50" Sharp TV. Will the remotes work with everything if I get the Sony? And are there any other advantages to having the same brand for all of this? Thank you.

Solution
You may be able to program the Sharp remote to operate the Sony gear if it has the Sony codes. Check the owners manual to see if the remote can be programmed for other brands.
The other advantage of all the same brand is that when you connect with HDMI cables it is more sure that the CEC functions will work correctly. This means for instance that if you turn on the BD player the receiver and TV will turn on without further button pushes from you.
The warranties for the Sony (18 months) and Sharp (15 months) are not all that different.
You pointed it out, mainly the remote becomes 'universal' if it has enough 'inputs' for all the devices (depends on the included remotes of course). Further you can usually match up things more for example the output for sound would match up batter for a stereo receiver as the instructions would tell you how to hook up from the BluRay AND TV to the stereo (though I dont' really know anyone whom has a stero receiver anymore anyway since the TV itself is the central device and has the SoundBar / inputs already).

Well yes you pay alot more for Sony, because you get better product and guarantees thank over the cheaper Sharp. For example Sharp may guarantee the TV for 15 months, well horses to horseshoes on month 16 they would typically die suddenly, while a Sony would give a 5 year guarantee (no questions asked) on it still working JUST FOR EXAMPLE.

You may be able to program the Sharp remote to operate the Sony gear if it has the Sony codes. Check the owners manual to see if the remote can be programmed for other brands.
The other advantage of all the same brand is that when you connect with HDMI cables it is more sure that the CEC functions will work correctly. This means for instance that if you turn on the BD player the receiver and TV will turn on without further button pushes from you.
The warranties for the Sony (18 months) and Sharp (15 months) are not all that different.

Solution