Question Any idea why my combo VCR-DVD (Toshiba DVR620KU) is suddenly rejecting my Maxell VP-200 Wet Video Head Cleaner?

Sep 8, 2019
As soon as the head cleaner is inserted in the VCR, the unit shuts down. I've also noticed recently that a few of my VHS tapes from 1989-'90 have garbled audio for the first 30 minutes or so even though the picture is fine, which is why I figured I should clean the heads. The head cleaner has worked fine before (I bought it in early 2016, and I bought the VCR-DVD player in early 2014), and the audio on the tapes in question was also fine until recently. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Sep 8, 2019
Yes, it's rewound. But the Toshiba unit shuts down each time right after the tape is inserted, so pressing "rewind" or even "play" is impossible.

Jan 24, 2020
As soon as the head cleaner is inserted in the VCR, the unit shuts down. I've also noticed recently that a few of my VHS tapes from 1989-'90 have garbled audio for the first 30 minutes or so even though the picture is fine, which is why I figured I should clean the heads. The head cleaner has worked fine before (I bought it in early 2016, and I bought the VCR-DVD player in early 2014), and the audio on the tapes in question was also fine until recently. Thank you for any help you can provide.
I am having the same issue with my machine. The tracking looks to be off when playing vhs tapes so I purchased a vhs cleaning tape and the machine just shuts off when I insert it. I cant rewind, play or fast forward because it shuts off. Did you ever find a reason for the problem?

Sep 8, 2019
I am having the same issue with my machine. The tracking looks to be off when playing vhs tapes so I purchased a vhs cleaning tape and the machine just shuts off when I insert it. I cant rewind, play or fast forward because it shuts off. Did you ever find a reason for the problem?
No, unfortunately I didn't. I watched a YouTube video on cleaning the heads, though, and cleaned the audio head myself after taking the top off the machine. I've heard from several people since September, including a VCR repairman, that head-cleaner tapes are unreliable and may actually damage the heads of the VCR. (Cleaning the audio head didn't solve the audio problem I was having, by the way, but it was worth a shot.)

Jan 24, 2020
No, unfortunately I didn't. I watched a YouTube video on cleaning the heads, though, and cleaned the audio head myself after taking the top off the machine. I've heard from several people since September, including a VCR repairman, that head-cleaner tapes are unreliable and may actually damage the heads of the VCR. (Cleaning the audio head didn't solve the audio problem I was having, by the way, but it was worth a shot.)
Ok, thank you for your quick reply