Any Recommendations?

TheElite579

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
Hello Forum,

Well, I need help purchasing a new laptop, my main use for the laptop will be studying, but on the side I like to play casual/semi-graphic intensive game's. I'm not a computer idiot, but I'm not a genius either. (( I know parts, configuration etc )).

My current setup is a third hand Gateway NV59 (( first my father's then my sister's who went off to university, she got a Mac )).

It's spec's are:

An Intel Core i5 430m
8GB of RAM
Intel HD Graphics (( Not 4000,3000,2000 JUST INTEL HD ))
A 640 GB HDD (( She burned the HDD, I don't know how... I replaced it with a 240 GB HDD, and then later on a 596 GB HDD )). So currently it has a 596 HDD, it's an old HDD though.

The main reason, I want to get another one is because, my sister has literally beaten down this laptop. In a year, she burned the motherboard, the HDD, the battery (( Kept on using different voltage chargers )). So, the computer is generally just failing in total. I take good care of it, but it's going to completely fail sooner or later.

I need a laptop for Grade 9. I am looking for something with at least 4GB of RAM, but 6 GB would be desirable, and 8 GB would be stunning. I would like a decent GPU, such as a 525m, a 540m, or maybe a 630m. I don't play intensive games, but I do play online games, and run modifications. (( I play games such as: Modern Warfare Two, Battlefield Bad Company 2, SC 2, and if I can run it BF3. )) As for CPU, pretty much Quad Core anything would suffice. Ivy Bridge would be cool, but probably out of my budget. Sandy Bridge i5, or higher i3 models would be preferred.

My budget is about: 700$, the most I would be wiling to go is 1000$.

If you have any suggestion, I would gladly accept them, if you have suggestions for extras such as a mouse, or headset etc. My current headset is the Turtle Beach P11, I will probably stick with that though.

Thank you

~ The Elite567

morbious81

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
If you'd entertain an AMD machine I'd strongly suggest giving the HP dv6-6135dx a look. I have one I use for college and gaming when not at home. I run L4D, MWF2, and bioshock 1and2 on it on high detail with no problems. I can't speak much on any others. My fiancé has a LT with an i3 but I've never tried gaming on it..... Give it time, others will be along to help you with the Intel laptop info. I'm not of much help there.

TheElite579

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
I'm fine with AMD, In my experience AMD usually has better performance for the price. But in terms of raw power, Intel usually wins out.

EDIT: I just read some reviews, check out the spec etc: It looks like a fantastic laptop, and for 519$ It's AMAZING. In addition if I crossfire the two GPU's I can amazing results, on Crysis, and CoD. Battlefield Three runs fluently on medium too.

Thank you, for your suggestion, I will most likely purchase this laptop as it gives me 400$ to upgrade RAM to maybe 8GB, and purchase a 7400 RPM HDD, (( Around 750 GBB )).

EDIT: This does not mean, I'm not open to other suggestions. Nothing is final, till I order the laptop.

morbious81

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
Not a problem. Chose it because of the stats, Price, and the fact that it has crossfired GPU's :) I would advise a cooling pad for when you're gaming on it. It can get a bit warm when the stand alone GPU kicks in.