Any way to be certain I still have a virus?

LuckyTheLadyBug

Estimable
Jul 5, 2015
I downloaded something super duper sketchy, then after I opened it realized it was bad news so I quickly deleted it. I then ran malwarebytes and 2 things came up as some sort of false positive. but I deleted them anyway. Bitedefender didnt find anything at all.

After I told malwarebytes to delete those things, It prompted me to restart. I did so, and my computer wouldn't go to my desktop, just a black screen with a mouse cursor.

Then I restarted again, and It booted up, taking WAY longer than usual. My internet also didn't work even though clearly it was plugged in and windows said i was connected.

After a couple restarts, I was booting correctly, and my internet started working as usual.

I run malwarebytes scans a couple times, all coming up with nothing.

I also scanned all the exe's with virustotal, with some program that allows me to do that.

Sadly, right as this happened is when I had to leave for vacation. I am typing this from a hotel room on my laptop, so I can not get to much info for you right now. I will be back tomorrow.

Do I have a virus still? Could it workaround all those tests I did? I am afraid to log into my paypal account, but I need to ship something.

Thanks guys

Solution
That tells me there may be some sort of error on the back end, but I don't think it would be a virus. Have you tried running something super basic, like Ccleaner, Advanced System Care (I would recommend the pro version), or anything along those lines? Have you tried running Hitman, or maybe Panda's free virus scanner? I'd try those, as well as Bitdefender's free scanner. If you want to switch AVs, BD's free AV is one that I would personally recommend. It may be a bit paranoid for some stuff, but it seems to be the lightest, and most effective for a basic free AV.

Virus Total is a nice online scanner to upload to, but I wouldn't use it for anything other than scanning downloaded files before you open them.

If you get the chance, I'd...

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
Without having any real information, there's very minimal advice that anyone can really give you. Quite frankly, because every type of infection, as well as how the infection began (ie: was there odd behaviour, unusually high CPU/RAM usuage, a screen that popped up, anything), would tell us something.

Your question is extremely vague, so just about any real details would be helpful in figuring out what might have happened, and how to fix it.

LuckyTheLadyBug

Estimable
Jul 5, 2015

Normally I would be as concise as possible but the bad timing with me having to go away didn't allow me to do so.

The only things that were out of the ordinary were the no boot, slow boot, and no internet for a little while. I checked usage of my CPU and it was normal and low.

Again, I will report back with more details later.

Thank you very much.

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
That tells me there may be some sort of error on the back end, but I don't think it would be a virus. Have you tried running something super basic, like Ccleaner, Advanced System Care (I would recommend the pro version), or anything along those lines? Have you tried running Hitman, or maybe Panda's free virus scanner? I'd try those, as well as Bitdefender's free scanner. If you want to switch AVs, BD's free AV is one that I would personally recommend. It may be a bit paranoid for some stuff, but it seems to be the lightest, and most effective for a basic free AV.

Virus Total is a nice online scanner to upload to, but I wouldn't use it for anything other than scanning downloaded files before you open them.

If you get the chance, I'd just say to run Hitman, Panda's scanner, and then install BD and scan everything. Leave it running for a few days, to see if anything starts to act up, or if it catches something. After about a week, you can go back to whatever else you might prefer.

That would be my recommendation.

Solution

LuckyTheLadyBug

Estimable
Jul 5, 2015

I already use Bitedefender as my AV and run CCcleaner regularly. Bitedefender came up with nothing, nor did Hitman. all the problems are gone now, I guess it was just a string of weird coincidences. If you have any other suggestions, id be glad to hear them. Thanks

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
Not a problem. Like I said, it sounds like a back end error, and nothing like a malicious or rogue program. Windows could have corrected itself, an automatic update might have come through wrong, or even just a registry problem that might have been fixed with a run of Ccleaner.

About the only thing I'd recommend at this point is to try IObit Advanced System Care, and consider using the pro version of IObit Driver Booster 2. Since a lot of people don't take care of their drivers, and drivers turn out to be a common issue with various things, figured I'd throw it out there as an option for preventative maintenance. Just a thought.

I think you'll be good now. I wouldn't suspect much from it :)