Any way to block user from accessing internet site by country?

epidot

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
Hi thanks for any advice.

I just bought my elderly parent a new laptop and I'm trying to protect her info as best as my limited knowledge can.

All of her old PC's would get so littered with every nasty virus/spyware and garbage. I always had her set up with Malwarebytes which I find works great in my own PC. But somehow she is allowing access to her own pc to get passed the filters, firewalls and software. I have found many Eastern European and Asia IP addresses which I feel are contributing to the problem. So I guess I want to be able to block any sites in certain countries.

I have checked her browser history and I cant find that she is visiting sites that she shouldn't. Main use for her is emails, and Netflix streaming and sewing/knitting related forums. She's almost 80 and has a terrible memory. So trying to get this well protected and simple before handing her the keys to it.

Currently this new laptop is running Windows 7 Home and she insists on using IE browser.

Thanks again for any suggestions. Hopefully a little extra work now will save me from many headaches later.

Solution
Hi

Specific programs for protecting children might be usefull

Some use a proxy server and software to lockdown against changing the proxy server website
The child user has a restricted login account so can not change their internet or network settings
The proxy server only allows child friendly sites with option of blocking social media websites

Limited user accounts also limit amount of damage done by malware
Examples here
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/five-apps/five-content-filters-suitable-for-both-home-and-business/

But would your parent allow you to do this on her PC?

Regards
Mike Barnes

RaDiKaL_

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
"she insists on using IE browser."

Assuming you have already cleaned the system from any viruses/malware that got in, inevitably IE will get it infected again, perhaps you could get her to use Firefox with an IE Theme? malwarebytes is great indeed but add in some antivirus like Avast Free.

Another solution would be to freeze the C: partition with Faronics Deep Freeze, this way every time the pc is reset all of the OS would be restored thus getting rid of any trojan/virus etc, you'd need to relocate her documents to be saved in another partition so they don't get lost in the process.

ztrexx

Estimable
Mar 17, 2015

IE is more secure than firefox, the only thing IE got going for them is safety, firefox currently got the worst sercurity of all the major browers atm.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You could attempt to ban specific sites via her router. You could also change her browser settings to keep no cookies/history/etc.

However, without some user discipline and updated anti-virus and anti-malware software, these issues will continue.

mbarnes86

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Hi

Specific programs for protecting children might be usefull

Some use a proxy server and software to lockdown against changing the proxy server website
The child user has a restricted login account so can not change their internet or network settings
The proxy server only allows child friendly sites with option of blocking social media websites

Limited user accounts also limit amount of damage done by malware
Examples here
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/five-apps/five-content-filters-suitable-for-both-home-and-business/

But would your parent allow you to do this on her PC?

Regards
Mike Barnes

Solution

COLGeek

Cybernaut

This is an excellent idea!

I have used this tool with relatives (w/kids) to prevent similar issues:

www.k9webprotection.com