Anyone with experience with the E-Fun Nextbook 10.1?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all.

I'm looking into a laptop replacement as my old Dell scratch and dent finally fried it's motherboard (after seven years) and I'm looking at the Nextbook 10.1 as a replacement.

Please understand that I already have a desktop for any seriously intensive applications (games/vide encoding) and an HTPC for all media needs. This laptop/tablet would be *strictly* for online finances and *maybe* as an e-book reader replacement (I also have a first gen Kindle).

My only real concern is the installed 1GB of RAM. I have not been able to find anything that states it's upgradeable. I think I'd really prefer a minimum of 2GB, but if anyone has any experience with this device, your input would be greatly appreciated.

-Wolf sends

Shootist40

Estimable
Jan 8, 2015
I have had the Nextbook 10.1 Tablet since Christmas. For the money it is a great machine. I put the full LibreOffice program on it along with a few other programs and a few apps. I will eventually remove MS Office rather than pay the yearly fee ... yup I'm cheap. I still have about 15.7 GB of free space on the C: drive and almost the full 32 GB of the D: drive. You have to remember that the internal storage isn't fantastic, but certainly enough for a secondary computer. You also can use MS Drive or some other cloud if your so inclined. The computer is quick works well as a separate tablet and has the advantage of a hardware keyboard. I think it is well worth the money and will be adequate for several years in the future.

elmo7172

Estimable
Jan 6, 2015

Hi, I don't have answers for your first questions. The only thing I can tell you for sure is that YES, you can connect a OTG cable to the micro USB and than connect any USB standard into the OTG. This computer is awesome. I'm not sure about all the technical things you asked, sorry. Good luck!

Shootist40

Estimable
Jan 8, 2015
Hi N7AS,
I have a micro USB to female USB cable. I have run a flash drive off it with no problems. I assume you can run a regular external hard drive if you have an external power supply for the hard drive. Also used it to run a wireless mouse. All work great. As far as taking it apart, it is a tablet and therefore no screws. Remember if you run out of memory and have to use the C: drive for a page file, it is solid state too and therefore quite fast. I have not run out of RAM when doing standard things, but have not done a lot of multi-tasking with several programs running at once. It's a tablet not a desktop. Let me know what you find when you get it. W0DRH

tm857

Estimable
Jan 12, 2015

tm857

Estimable
Jan 12, 2015
Lonewolf: I have one of these tablets and would also like to be able to charge on the go, are you saying that it will charge using a micro usb-2.0 USB cable utilizing the micro USB port on the tablet, or is there an adapter to 2.0 USB with the same type of 1 pin power plug that is provided (I just can't think of what that type plug is called) If there is such an adapter, where might I find one?? Thanks.

tess mcdonald

Estimable
Jan 15, 2015

AJ S

Estimable
Jan 27, 2015
I bought one a month ago and have no trouble with the capability. It had a trial offer of MS Office, and I find that my simple spreadsheets in Excel & Word documents are more than sufficient for my needs. (I will either buy a regular Office or use the free versions on my Outlook.com account.)

However, I am having a heck of a time interfacing with the device, especially the keyboard. It is really squirrelly, the cursor jumps around like crazy, and I have extreme difficulty getting the cursor to move where I want it. In tablet mode, it works a bit better, but that's not always the best mode of input, and it still have little info windows popping up. It seems like the keyboard just isn't properly communicating with the tablet. As a result, I just don't use it as much as I planned. Anybody else having this problem? Any solutions?

arabidlunatic

Estimable
Jan 27, 2015
I bought this laptop a months ago and thought it was great. Now, I can't get it to turn on. I think my son let the battery go completely dead so now I can't get it to come on at all. I left it charging overnight. The next morning the charge light was orange but not go. I've tried holding down the buttons in different combinations hoping to find a hard reset code. I opened a trouble ticket with the manufacturer but haven't heard back. I also called and left a voicemail and sent an email. Still nothing. I'm running out of options. There was a post on Reddit from a guy who a who said he took of the back of the tablet and to reset the battery. I don't see how he did that. Any ideas?

hipkts2020

Estimable
Feb 13, 2015

hipkts2020

Estimable
Feb 13, 2015
I had a problem with the built in keypad also. It sure seemed "jumpy" and I did see similar things. What I did to cure the mouse was to go into the settings and slow down the mouse movement. I can now use the trackpad on the keyboard. Since I was new to Windows 8 and touch screen, I am learning to use more of the touch screen functions in conjunction with the keyboard. So far, I am enjoying my Nextbook and look forward to having a Windows tablet that I can transfer files to and from.

antiquedeals

Estimable
Feb 14, 2015
Italianman2112,
I accidentally changed my desktop size to 300 instead of 200%!! Tried to go back to control panel to reset but since it is so large I can't get to the OK or apply button to change back!! This is on the Nextbook 10.1. Any help would be appreciated..I tried refreshing the computer but it did not change this setting!

pmoreau

Estimable
Mar 3, 2015
According to the intel spec on the processor, 1GB of RAM is the Max and can not use any more.

pmoreau

Estimable
Mar 3, 2015
Other forums has discussed this in length and it problem has been found with sleeping. The default for the tablet when hitting the power button or closing the lid is to go to sleep. If you are lucky enough to have one that still wakes up or yours eventually wakes up (seems you have to let it sleep till the battery dies then recharge) go into the power setting and don't let it go to sleep. Change to shutdown or do nothing. This worked for me and absolutely no problems since changing.

aespinalc

Estimable
Mar 12, 2015

Hello mister, any guide to opening this thing so i can add more ram?

thanks

pmoreau

Estimable
Mar 3, 2015
The Intel Spec for the processor used in the NextBook 10.1 supports a max of 1GB of RAM. If you put another Gig in and it works, let us all know.

rjtcar

Estimable
Mar 14, 2015
Our family's Nextbook 10.1 (model number NXW10QC32G) has had the same problem. Originally, it worked great - then would not "turn on" at all. I believe it went to sleep (as described in other posts). Today, I successfully got it to turn on by (1) removing the back cover; (2) unplugging the battery connector; (3) waiting 10 seconds and replugging the battery connector; (4) re-installing the back cover. Thanks to Bill S. for his video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvtP_jK0Ub4) showing how to perform these steps!!! :)

Monkeyone

Estimable
Mar 21, 2015
I bought one for my Mother and it works really well. I have had a problem with it going to sleep, but I found it wakes up if you hold the power and the volume up for about 5 seconds or so. But other than that it is a nice little system.

N5JCJ

Estimable
Mar 25, 2015
I didn't read that you made any decision; however, for the price ($193 ttl), I think it's a good deal. Being that you clearly stated that you did not need the tablet/laptop for major projects as you have a desktop. I use mine daily. I am a storm spotter and use it for mobile operations (radar, NWS chat, etc.). The only problem I have had with mine is that it went into "sleep" mode and could not get it to power back up. I took the tablet apart and reset the power from the battery ("hard reset"). Once I had the tablet back on I just went in and configured the power plan not to sleep. Hope this helps. 73s

hollidayp1

Distinguished
May 9, 2010

hollidayp1

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
Nextbook 10.1 Is Totally Useless. No Good. Avoid

I have a bad experience with the Nextbook 10.1. The unit that I received on 3/31/2015 was really bad. It worked, but just barely. It was totally unresponsive to the touchscreen. This is probably because the touchscreen resolution has only 10 touchpoints on a 1280 x 800 screen. Do the math. Your "touch" will most likely not hit one of these touchpoints, thus the unresponsiveness mentioned above. Other reviews have said good things about this device, but somehow, as of this date (4/6/2015) the manufacturer of this product has managed to screw up this device so that it is no longer usable as a tablet or notebook. hollidayp1 150406

The Nextbook 10.1 tablet with removable keyboard is useless and very bad. It is not worth it at an price (even Free!) because it is basically unusable as a tablet for ordinary use. The touch screen is unresponsive (if it ever responds at all). This is probably because the specs for this unit say that the touchscreen ".. has limited support with 10 touch points". On a 1280 x 800 screen this is unusable. When the keyboard is connected, the touchpad is also so unresponsive that the unit is unusable. The manufacturer of this device is listed as "YIFANG 1-888-415-5177". As far as I am concerned, this Tablet/Notebook should be taken off the market until it is "Fixed".
Not recommended. Avoid. Hollidayp1 150404, 150406

Status
Not open for further replies.