Anything I can do to hook newer tv to ancient stereo?

DocHolliday1

Estimable
Sep 4, 2015
I have a newer lg hdtv, it's flat screen. I just attempted to run sound from my tv to my ancient stereo receiver, with no luck, and am completely lost. I have a digital audio output on the tv, and only A/V inputs on my receiver. Do they make an adapter or anything, or am I just kind of screwed, until I buy an updated receiver? Model for tv is 55LS4600. My pioneer receiver is a VSX-3600. Any assistance is more than appreciated.

Check your favorite brick / online store for "optical to rca audio converter", and two cables: one TosLink (to connect TV optical out to the converter), and one stereo RCA (red/white to red/white), to connect converter to your amplifier.

Another (cheaper) option would be to get 3.5mm - RCA adapter, and plug it into headphones output, but this will make the volume dependent on TV' volume setting, and will mute TV speakers.

DocHolliday1

Estimable
Sep 4, 2015

Ya, I looked all over the tv, was unable to find a jack for headphones. :( I am not trying to be picky, actually wanting to update my audio system, but just tired of running all my sound through the tv speaker, which is barely mediocre. Especially with how much i watch movies.