Solved! Anyway to just buy a vive headset?

Tom Pake

Estimable
Sep 12, 2015
Curious if you could just buy the headset itself. Not the pro version nor something that isn't a Vive.

Solution
If you mean literally just the headset, without the lighthouses (tracking boxes) and the controllers then I don't think so. At least not new.

Shoomer

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016
If you mean literally just the headset, without the lighthouses (tracking boxes) and the controllers then I don't think so. At least not new.

Solution

Tri23

Respectable
May 31, 2016
I think we need to clarify and expand the question to something more accurate and eliminate any build in assumptions.

1) Define the Issue.
>> Curious if you could just buy the headset itself. Not the pro version nor something that isn't a Vive.

Rephrase:
- Will a HTC Vive(v1) Headset work standalone with no peripherals?
- Can you purchase a HMD with no peripherals?

Answers:
Q) Will a HTC Vive(v1) Headset work standalone with no peripherals?
A) An HTC vive can be used without the controllers, but the basestations assist the tracking / roomscale. Now, I believe the headset will turn on, but you will lose your positional tracking. At best, you might get 360 degree headtracking, but it would be like having a Smartphone HMD, so your experience would be INCREDIBLY limited. This would also depend on the Driver version of the Vive.

Personally, I feel like I've run into this scenario when troubleshooting my Vive or a driver issue.. but I've never actually tested to see if I could get the system to work without the Lighhouses.

Q) - Can you purchase a HMD with no peripherals?
A) Yes, pretty sure you can find them on Ebay as used devices. You can not purchase them new, unless you talked directly to HTC for a replacement part order. (so I guess.)

I think the main question anybody would ask in response is "WHY?". It would be like buying a high-end gaming PC, but saying you don't want the graphics card or a mouse.