AOC Revealing 22-inch HD USB-Based Monitor at CES

Status
Not open for further replies.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
doesn't seem too hard to do. Look at the power usage of a 10 inch tablet, it is generally at around 1.5-2 watts for the entire unit.

if you get rid of everything except the display driver and LCD screen and you will get even lower power usage numbers

at 2.5 watts, a USB port can easily drive a 22 inch LCD if it uses similar technology to what you find in tablet screens

sipmarton

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
I don't understand. How can the USB deliver enough bandwidth for a 1080p video signal? I'm guessing it needs to be compressed.

vittau

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
[citation][nom]sipmarton[/nom]I don't understand. How can the USB deliver enough bandwidth for a 1080p video signal? I'm guessing it needs to be compressed.[/citation]
1920x1080x24x60/(8*1024^2) = 355.957MB/s is the required bandwidth for a 1080p signal @ 60Hz

USB 3.0 affords ~596MB/s, so it should work.

I'm more impressed by the fact that it can be powered by entirely by USB.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
1080p... yet another TV screen for use with a PC. :-(
I use 1200 lines for years and wish I had even more when editing in Photoshop or Premiere.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
\[citation][nom]vittau[/nom]1920x1080x24x60/(8*1024^2) = 355.957MB/s is the required bandwidth for a 1080p signal @ 60HzUSB 3.0 affords ~596MB/s, so it should work.I'm more impressed by the fact that it can be powered by entirely by USB.[/citation]

that is if they are doing raw video. Hopefully they are not doing the whole codec crap where a compressed signal is sent to the monitor and it decodes it (causing up to 3 seconds of delay between something happening and it showing up on the screen)

USB 3 should allow for more power if it is using it, but USB 2 and the standard 500ma is enough. keep in mind that a 10 inch tablet screen may have a brightness of close to 400cd and pull about 1 watt, or a little over a watt, the 22 inch USB display is basically at nearly half the brightness and a little over twice the size.

G

Just to correct that it is more than twice the size. Shouldn't you be looking at the area instead of diagonal length?

nukemaster

Distinguished
[citation][nom]devastater[/nom]Just to correct that it is more than twice the size. Shouldn't you be looking at the area instead of diagonal length?[/citation]
Very good point, after all a 12megapixel image is "Only" double the size of a 3megapixel image.

I know I never seen a 2.5(4.5 if usb 3.0 in ull bandwidth mode) watt computer screen.

I would guess it is based on something from DisplayLink, as it would be backwards compatible with usb 2.0 that way.

vittau

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
[citation][nom]Razor512[/nom]keep in mind that a 10 inch tablet screen may have a brightness of close to 400cd and pull about 1 watt, or a little over a watt, the 22 inch USB display is basically at nearly half the brightness and a little over twice the size.[/citation]
The screen area is 4 times bigger though.

Dame1701

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
I can't see it being anything other than CPU considering it's using USB. This would means it would be relatively useless for anything for than casual email and web browsing tasks which is likely to be the target market for a monitor in this price range.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
I can understand that the

[citation][nom]nukemaster[/nom]Very good point, after all a 12megapixel image is "Only" double the size of a 3megapixel image.I know I never seen a 2.5(4.5 if usb 3.0 in ull bandwidth mode) watt computer screen.I would guess it is based on something from DisplayLink, as it would be backwards compatible with usb 2.0 that way.[/citation]

Please explain to me how a 12 mega pixels is twice as large is 3 mega pixels. It may be twice as large in both width and height (assuming both images are the same shape) but it is still four times the size of the 3 mega pixel image. The width and height of an 8x8 square are each twice the size of the width and height of a 4x4 square but an 8x8 square still has four times more area (aka size) than the 4x4 has.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
[citation][nom]Dame1701[/nom]I can't see it being anything other than CPU considering it's using USB. This would means it would be relatively useless for anything for than casual email and web browsing tasks which is likely to be the target market for a monitor in this price range.[/citation]
web browsing and email from a 22 inch 200 dollar screen? I think you've misplaced your words, there. Anyway, it's not going to take mounds of processing power to render the images.

Dame1701

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
22" is hardly large and $200 is a low budget for a monitor. Our company writes software for the film and TV industry, we do a lot of design and processing and use 24" monitors minimum with 27 and 30" more common these cost anything from $600 to more than $1200, hardly the $200 range. They are driven by higher end NVidia and ATI cards which render much of the content using technologies like CUDA. To successfully edit HD video for example, graphics card acceleration makes a huge difference a software only version would crawl - just try using the standard unaccelerated generic Windows 7 drivers and you'll see what I mean! I therefore stick to my statement that I suspect they will be used for more simple tasks.

darkrydr3

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]1080p... yet another TV screen for use with a PC. :-(I use 1200 lines for years and wish I had even more when editing in Photoshop or Premiere.[/citation]
That's why they create 16:10 IPS monitors with 1920x1200 for your intense pp sessions and 27" and 30" if you need more resolution. This monitor is more for the average user, less cords equals win!

cjoachim09

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
This will make troubleshooting easier for those customers out there who have a hard time matching up the BLUE cable to the BLUE port.

The video rendering is all through the CPU then what if there were dual USB monitors? What's the monitor management suite that will allow me to extend, or mirror my displays? Basic Win 7 desktop properties? Ew.

A nice advantage though for the "green" conscious persons.

Dame1701

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
That's why they create 16:10 IPS monitors with 1920x1200 for your intense pp sessions and 27" and 30" if you need more resolution. This monitor is more for the average user, less cords equals win!

I couldn't agree more, at the proposed price point, it clearly isn't meant for people who demand more than an average user. Editing word docs, drawing up spreadsheets in fact pretty much all standard office tasks will be easily catered for by the CPU bound graphics power, assuming of course they don't include some for of rudimentary acceleration within the monitor itself.

I'm not sure about how it would work for multiple displays but I suspect a driver will be released that allows Windows to see the monitor properly and thus allow all the usual desktop properties to function as normal.

pecul1ar

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
The e2251Fwu USB Monitor is compatible with PC as well as Mac using the DisplayLink driver.
- http://us.aoc.com/monitor_display/e2251fwu

How It Works

DisplayLink USB graphics technology is a unique approach to USB graphics, allowing smooth video playback and providing a low latency connection that feels very much like a traditional monitor while providing the "plug and display" simplicity of USB. DisplayLink USB graphics technology allows for high resolution, full 32-bit color graphics, at resolutions up to 2560x1152 (depending on chip used). Here's how it works:

1. DisplayLink software is installed on the PC and uses resources available in the CPU and GPU to process the graphical information from your USB connected display.

2. Updates to the screen are automatically detected and compressed using the DisplayLink compression technology (DL2+ or DL3). This adaptive compression technology automatically balances the compression methods based on the content, available CPU power, and USB bandwidth, providing the best possible USB graphics experience at any given moment.

3. Compressed data packets are sent over the standard USB 2.0 cable as quickly as possible to maintain a very interactive user experience.

4. A high speed DisplayLink chip embedded in the monitor, docking station, projector or adapter decodes the compressed data back into video or graphics data.
- http://www.displaylink.com/technology/technology_overview.php

--------------------------

So.. It uses a driver, the CPU&GPU and an embedded DisplayLink chip on the display. And looking at the link provided below, there's already ALOT of displays that has this technology, and its designed for USB 2.0.

I'm very interested in those small factor, 4~7" display units.. coupled with those ultra small PC units.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS