App development cost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jurgvds

Estimable
Aug 16, 2014
Hi,

I am in the process of wanting to start my own business and just had a few questions on app development.

I got a potential client that wants an app for her dance school where people can go on and book for classes and also share news and information to her students. So my questions are:

1. Do I charge her for android and ios seperately? Or does creating an app usually assume both in the industry?

2. The obvious question, how much do you charge for an app like that? I thought because she wants an app that requires a database it will push up the price a bit? So I thought maybe somewhere around the $2000 mark?

3. Any suggestions on platforms to develop on? Or are you better off going straight through the android development suite and making it from scratch?

Thanks in advance

Solution
How do you value your time? How much do you need to be able to profit from the work? Cover your time and related expenses? Make it worthwhile?

There are a least five component tasks:

1) Android app

2) Ios app

3) Webpage

4) Database

5) Integrating all the above.

My recommendation is that you sit down with the potential client and be very sure to work out the specific requirements for all of the components.

Sketch out screens, options, data flows, security requirements, end use requirements.

Get as much detail as you can.

There may some licensing costs involved. What about future support for fixing bugs, upgrades, and changes? Are you going to cover that as well?

You could easily spend hours trying to resolve some app...
How do you value your time? How much do you need to be able to profit from the work? Cover your time and related expenses? Make it worthwhile?

There are a least five component tasks:

1) Android app

2) Ios app

3) Webpage

4) Database

5) Integrating all the above.

My recommendation is that you sit down with the potential client and be very sure to work out the specific requirements for all of the components.

Sketch out screens, options, data flows, security requirements, end use requirements.

Get as much detail as you can.

There may some licensing costs involved. What about future support for fixing bugs, upgrades, and changes? Are you going to cover that as well?

You could easily spend hours trying to resolve some app issue that is actually no fault of your design and code. Maybe caused, for example, by some Ios upgrade.

Spend the time planning up front, break the project down into the various tasks and subtasks as well. Make a time estimate for the full completion of each task and subtasks. Best case hours, expected hours, and worst case hours. Then use the old Estimated hours = [BCH + (4 x ECH) + WCH]/6 formula to establish the work hours you are likely to need.

Total up the Estimated Hours for all tasks/subtasks and multiply by the hourly value of your time. That should give you a starting "how much to charge value". Then add some % for fee and unexpected costs. If you have a paid job now, use that hourly rate but multiply by 2 or 3 to obtain a "self-employment" value of your time.

There are other ways to figure out how to charge. Start with the above and determine what the end total amount may be. Then refine your estimate as warranted. The idea is to objectively quantify as much as you can. There will also be some risks, errors, and assumptions. You may or may not be able to do the job for $2000. That is what you need to know right from the beginning. And if the cost appears viable then you will also have some idea about the risks involved. Underbidding can be and often is a big pitfall for new businesses.

Be sure to have some written agreement in place with regards to what it to be provided and the costs for that.

She may ask for some "little change" that will turn into a major problem and headache for you. And lose you money in the process.

Do the "number crunching". Even if you do not understand it all sometimes. Be honest and objective and know the risks.

What will happen, for example, if the apps go down and people cannot book classes? She loses money and you may be held accountable - scary stuff...

Solution

Jurgvds

Estimable
Aug 16, 2014

Thanks for the quick, and very informative, reply.

That is a lot of things to consider yeah, a lot that I didn't know of. But charging for my time would mean I basically charge for android and IOS separately? Are there any platforms to develop on where you can develop for both at the same time?

Once again, thanks for your informative answer

You are welcome.

The following links may help you decide or get started on a suitable platform:

https://www.business.com/articles/top-5-cross-platform-app-development-tools-in-2016/

Tool #4

http://thinkapps.com/blog/development/develop-for-ios-v-android-cross-platform-tools/

E.g., Tool #3

Otherwise google for "cross platform development tools ios android"

You may wish to narrow or alter the search criteria to match your skill set(s) and experience.

Please be aware that other forum participants may respond also. No problem with that on my end. Always good to have additional viewpoints, ideas, and suggestions.

noyaus

Commendable
Jul 15, 2016
If you want to draft apps out there is an easy platform which I use (I am a student) for app developing which is MIT App Inventor. It's easy and has basic coding. it uses block coding.

http://appinventor.mit.edu/explore/

Status
Not open for further replies.