App for speed that doesn't need internet to work

Wing0

Estimable
Nov 5, 2014
So I'm going skiing in a few days, and I want to know how fast I go. All the speed apps I've seen need internet to work. I don't have data, and my ski hill doesn't have wifi across the whole hill, so I can't use these apps. Would a speed app that doesn't need internet even be possible?

Solution

Your phone could have a couple of sensors - GPS, accelerometer, compast, but none of this can measure speed. How do you think your car shows current speed - it uses rotation of the wheel for that.

Short of asking a friend with speed gun, and without stable GPS, you cannot measure your speed. Sorry to rain on your parade.

Wing0

Estimable
Nov 5, 2014

Thanks, but I remembered my ski hill is in a valley so I can't get gps there. There wouldn't be an app that can track my speed another way?

Your phone could have a couple of sensors - GPS, accelerometer, compast, but none of this can measure speed. How do you think your car shows current speed - it uses rotation of the wheel for that.

Short of asking a friend with speed gun, and without stable GPS, you cannot measure your speed. Sorry to rain on your parade.

Solution

Wing0

Estimable
Nov 5, 2014

Damn too bad.