App Store and iTunes Accounts Hacked

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgoblue3296

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
Sucks for those hacked when they try to get their money back.

iTunes support: "All iTunes purchases are ineligible for refunds."

Happened to me when somehow I got a receipt for purchasing the same exact song 15 times. Hope you enjoy that extra cup of coffee you purchased Steve.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]mgoblue3296[/nom]Sucks for those hacked when they try to get their money back.iTunes support: "All iTunes purchases are ineligible for refunds."Happened to me when somehow I got a receipt for purchasing the same exact song 15 times. Hope you enjoy that extra cup of coffee you purchased Steve.[/citation]

what??? how can you buy THE SAME song 15 times?? surely its like steam and once u've bought a song it's yours forever?? please?? I mean, I hate itunes and haven't used it, but for all the pain it brings, surely it could do that??

arael

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I can hear the support calls made to Apple now..

"Hi, my account was hacked and the person bought 400 copies of the same $15 app. I'd like to get a refund please"

'Sorry, according to our T&C's we can't refund legitimate purchases. I hope you enjoy your $6000 app.'

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
To be fair, this isn't really big news. Itunes accounts get hacked every now and again just like any other online purchase company. The only reason this has suddenly become news is that some developer used a few hacked accounts (if you consider weak password guessing 'hacking') to buy their badly coded software. Most news sites have blown this wildly out of proportion though.
The "All iTunes purchases are ineligible for refunds." thing also only applies to people wanting money back for songs they decide they don't want. In cases of account hacks or children accidentally buying $5000 applications, however, Apple has issued refunds. In this regard they are no different than any other purchased downloads company.

G

Talked to the hackers. Told them to stop. Not a big deal.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]santfu[/nom]no no media lies. All apple products are totally safe.[/citation]
Right, you should use Microsoft products instead. Nobody hacks those.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]What a twat.Was iTunes actually hacked here or just idiot users with bad passwords / keyloggers.[/citation]

I haven't seen an article on this which makes the compromise clear. It could have been credit cards and not even accounts hacked since all of the reports of charges didn't say "itunes account" but rather "bank account" when talking about money.

It would certainly be nice to know if this was a rogue app on an iPhone / iPad that caused the transactions or a Win/Mac keylogger grabbing passwords. Rogue app would be more of a Apple specific hack and not just using Apple for credit card transactions that banks will trust.

marsax73

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]Right, you should use Microsoft products instead. Nobody hacks those.[/citation]

But the bigger point is how Apple talks about how "safe" their products are compared to MS products. Remember the whole Mac vs PC commercials? Everyone gets hacked. The irony here is that it is Apple.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]marsax73[/nom]Apple talks about how "safe" their products are compared to MS products.[/citation]

We don't know yet if this was a hack of one of the iDevices (iPad, iPod or iPhone) where a rogue app was used to gain access to the account or account details (user/pass stealing).

It could just as easily been a Windows PC virus distributed keylogger or email phishing campaign. How the accounts were compromised is the most important piece of this news and so far it's still unknown.

The iTunes account info is protected by email address/username and password combination. This is a standard security method but is very weak and susceptible to exposure.

mgoblue3296

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
[citation][nom]matt87_50[/nom]what??? how can you buy THE SAME song 15 times?? surely its like steam and once u've bought a song it's yours forever?? please?? I mean, I hate itunes and haven't used it, but for all the pain it brings, surely it could do that??[/citation]

I'm not sure if it was fixed, but you could keep hitting "Buy Song" and it would charge your credit card over and over.

At least I got 2% of it back, thanks American Express.

Status
Not open for further replies.