Apple Acquires High-End GPS Startup to Save Maps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osmin

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Are they working to add Street View in order to compete with Google Maps? I mostly relied on Navigon for directions but would run Google Maps for street view information. That makes not only identifying your destination quicker but you can check for parking options too.

henrytcasey

Senior Writer
Herald
May 1, 2015

Rumors of Apple's fleet of cars driving around cities suggest its possible, but no big rumors to that direction yet.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
yeah until apple maps has street view, there simply is no comparison.

I would also like both google and apple to consider commercial vehicle drivers, and give them specialized routing based on Dimensions and Weight of the vehicle.

fuzzion

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
Whatsapp can soon be used for video calls and phone calls between appl and android. goodbye facetime.

Google makes superior maps, so this purchase is more of a hedge move.

Caanis Lupus

Estimable
Dec 24, 2014
I would also like both google and apple to consider commercial vehicle drivers, and give them specialized routing based on Dimensions and Weight of the vehicle.

I am not a CDL but that would be a very good feature.

xenogen

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
Google is just too way ahead of the game in the maps category that I could never see Google allowing Apple to make a better app. Now that Apple let the cat out of the bag by exposing its maps app its game over. I hope Apple can finally pull some new innovation out of its ass so there can be some actual competition.

kentlowt

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
yeah until apple maps has street view, there simply is no comparison.

Hazardous material routing info would be great as well.

blackns

Distinguished
May 25, 2006
I never had a problem with Apple maps on my Iphone 5s. Now that I'm back on Android (g3), i actually miss it. My system freezes and is very inaccurate daily. Apple maps was the best thing about the iphone imo

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Google is just too way ahead of the game in the maps category that I could never see Google allowing Apple to make a better app. Now that Apple let the cat out of the bag by exposing its maps app its game over. I hope Apple can finally pull some new innovation out of its ass so there can be some actual competition.
competition is wonderful, but maps is one area where google continues to push itself without others trying to steal marketshare.

Rather than some startup Apple should have partnered with or acquired TomTom or Garmin. Give the user options to download complete maps as well. I could care less about features like street view. I just care about quick re-routing, traffic routing, accurate navigation, efficient routes, a clear spoken voice, good advanced notice of turns, what direction the second turn will be and announcing the street address when I'm at my last turn.

As it stands now traffic routing sucks, if I'm not careful it will send me to a completely different address, it warns you way before a turn and when you are right on top of it, rarely says the turn after, some routes are way out of the way, listing roadblocks is impossible, and sometimes won't say a street number until you've passed it.

I know I can get some of this info looking at the map. I'd rather it be spoken so I don't have to take my eyes off the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.