Apple and Verizon Close to a Deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

A day late and a dollar short. The exclusivity contract was the best thing to happen for AT&T, but I think Android OS has an energetic new following. Apple is gonna have to do more than tweak the previous iphone specs to win over those that are immersed in droid software. I for one, do not plan on downgrading when iphone comes to vzw.

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
Apple cannot EVER compete with Android, ok, list the manufacturers that make phones that have apple os on them...
Now for Android... ;)

osxsier

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
If Apple sells this on Verizon, it will sell millions easily and become the top smart phone on their network.

In regards to "Android OS" having an energetic following...not so sure about that. Problem with Android is the OS is fractured across multiple phone makers. There is no consistency at all, just look at the Froyo roll out, its been a disaster so far.

As much as people like to hate on Apple here, Google is becoming very dangerous and their stance in the "Net Neutrality" issue leaves alot to be desired. In fact, most people should be against Google for what they are proposing.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
As soon as the exclusivity agreement ends, I wouldn't be surprised to see the iPhone on ALL major carriers. By 2012, Android will probably own over 50% of the smartphone market (Win Mobile 7 won't get out the door, and RIM will lose major market share). Apple will settle into its comfortable 10% (where it doesn't have to release headline worthy phones every 6 months anymore, when was the last time a new Mac Pro got news?). Carriers won't have any problem adding the iPhone the millions of Android phones they already sold. AT&T kinda screwed themselves over. How can they pitch an Android phone up against the Jesus phone they've been promoting for 4 years now?

[citation][nom]osxsier[/nom]In regards to "Android OS" having an energetic following...not so sure about that. Problem with Android is the OS is fractured across multiple phone makers. There is no consistency at all, just look at the Froyo roll out, its been a disaster so far.[/citation]
Same reason why Windows never took off for Microsoft. Having to support multiple generations of the OS at the same time (XP, 2003, Vista, 2008, 7) across multiple platforms (AMD, Intel, VIA) and multiple manufacturers (HP, Lenovo, IBM, Dell, Acer) was just too much for them. Plus, Google will never survive the disastrous release that was [strike]ME/Vista[/strike]Froyo.

[citation][nom]osxsier[/nom]As much as people like to hate on Apple here, Google is becoming very dangerous and their stance in the "Net Neutrality" issue leaves alot to be desired. In fact, most people should be against Google for what they are proposing.[/citation]
I agree, but that never stopped the world from adopting Microsoft Everything, or using iTunes or buying the iPhone, and it won't stop us from using Android. Besides, Android is open source, we can take it and leave Google behind if we need to. We never had the option with Windows/Office/iTunes/iOS/OSX.

G

@osxsier

and googles stance on net neutrality is any different from apples how???

yes google bowing to the power of verizon was a little disappointing and somewhat counter productive to their net neutrality campaign, but it sure trumps apples 'what the heck is net neutrality' stance

chrisv815

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
The best way to combat Android phones is to not be Apple. Steve Jobs is a pompous, overbearing, control freak. I think most Android users choose to get those phones because we want the freedom to use our phones as we see fit in the open source world. Thats why I have a Galaxy.
That and I don't appreciate a company putting out a defective product and telling me they meant to do that and I'm holding it wrong.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]JerseyFF[/nom]A day late and a dollar short. The exclusivity contract was the best thing to happen for AT&T, but I think Android OS has an energetic new following. Apple is gonna have to do more than tweak the previous iphone specs to win over those that are immersed in droid software. I for one, do not plan on downgrading when iphone comes to vzw.[/citation]
Perfect, couldn't have said it better myself.

It is a shame for Apple, as they had every other mobile smart phone by the balls for a couple of years, and they had to go make fundamental mistakes that allowed the Android platform to catch up.
I do think Apple could stop their fall, but it would require them to change their ways (and stop making stupid mistakes like releasing an phone that requires you to hold a phone a particular way), and I doubt that will ever happen. I think giving users an easy way to unlock their phone (with ample warnings for the user about the dangers of doing so) would go a long way for Apple. But, again, I doubt it'll ever happen.

Meanwhile, I'm sure the ATT camp is trembling in their boots, once they lose the exclusivity deal for the iPhone they basically lose everything.

SuckRaven

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
Google, with their DROID, very smartly filled a gap that was desperately wanting to be filled. By taking advantage of what by now Apple must see as a retarded move on their part, Android phones filled those markets where the iPhone was not, and went into the hands of people who probably would have got an iPhone, if not for the exclusivity deal between Apple and AT&T.

I say good for Google, and good for everyone. More devices, more choices, more competition, (sadly probably not lower prices though...) Apple kind of shot themself in the foot by tying themselves to one carrier for so long. I also don't know why people eagerly perk up their ears every time there is a news blurb about the iPhone coming to Verizon or somewhere else. Doesn't the deal between Apple and AT&T expire in 2012? I mean I could find the news items if I wanted to and link them, but this has come up I know at least 3 or 4 times now this year, and it always ends the same.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]osxsier[/nom]Google is becoming very dangerous and their stance in the "Net Neutrality" issue leaves alot to be desired. In fact, most people should be against Google for what they are proposing.[/citation]

1) What??
2) Even if this were somehow true, what could it possibly have to do with the choice I make for a cell phone?

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
.Here's an interesting article on Google/Andriods openness....

Wow, this guy is talking out his backside. Google realized this was a problem at android 1.6 and has since set a strict guideline of hardware requirements for android 3.0

See this article for the truth behind Android, and how Google is taking the power back from the telco's and manufacturers and giving it to the people.

http://www.unwiredview.com/2010/06/30/android-3-0-gingerbread-details-1280x760-resolution-1ghz-minimum-specs-mid-oct-release/

mj4358

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]Wow, this guy is talking out his backside. Google realized this was a problem at android 1.6 and has since set a strict guideline of hardware requirements for android 3.0See this article for the truth behind Android, and how Google is taking the power back from the telco's and manufacturers and giving it to the people.http://www.unwiredview.com/2010/06 [...] t-release/[/citation]
Are you shure that was the link you wanted to post?

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]As soon as the exclusivity agreement ends, I wouldn't be surprised to see the iPhone on ALL major carriers. By 2012, Android will probably own over 50% of the smartphone market (Win Mobile 7 won't get out the door, and RIM will lose major market share). Apple will settle into its comfortable 10% (where it doesn't have to release headline worthy phones every 6 months anymore, when was the last time a new Mac Pro got news?). Carriers won't have any problem adding the iPhone the millions of Android phones they already sold. AT&T kinda screwed themselves over. How can they pitch an Android phone up against the Jesus phone they've been promoting for 4 years now?Same reason why Windows never took off for Microsoft. Having to support multiple generations of the OS at the same time (XP, 2003, Vista, 2008, 7) across multiple platforms (AMD, Intel, VIA) and multiple manufacturers (HP, Lenovo, IBM, Dell, Acer) was just too much for them. Plus, Google will never survive the disastrous release that was ME/VistaFroyo.I agree, but that never stopped the world from adopting Microsoft Everything, or using iTunes or buying the iPhone, and it won't stop us from using Android. Besides, Android is open source, we can take it and leave Google behind if we need to. We never had the option with Windows/Office/iTunes/iOS/OSX.[/citation]

Lol, the funny thing is, I do not think even you believe those percentages you mentioned. The IPhone will sell plenty on Verizon and will be on par with Android sales if not exceed it on Verizon. I think we all know that. They are both great devices, both are at the same price point but both don't have the same marketing budgets or feature sets or angry AT&T customers that are looking to switch the second the phone becomes available on Verizon.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Sorry for any confusion, I was quoting MJ4358 and the link from techrepublic saying android was going to die because it let the carriers modify the OS. Android 3.0 will not be able to be manufacturer or carrier modified solving the only real issue android users have with their devices.

mj4358

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]Sorry for any confusion, I was quoting MJ4358 and the link from techrepublic saying android was going to die because it let the carriers modify the OS. Android 3.0 will not be able to be manufacturer or carrier modified solving the only real issue android users have with their devices.[/citation]

"Still, there’s some hope for third party vendors here – while Google takes over the UI on the high end, vendors get to keep their UI shells/improvements on mass market Android smartphones, running Eclair or Froyo"

I'm willing to bet the lower end phone's will be the biggest seller!! And once that happens; the carriers will have leverage to force Googles hand and soon after the carriers UI will be on the higher end models as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.