Apple Announces HDD Replacements for MacBooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Ok, all these new articles on Apple and yet nothing on this:
http://brainstormtech.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2010/02/17/reporter-roughed-up-by-apple-supplier/

Apple fanbois are blind idiots.

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
They figure why not, you paid so much for that crap there's still money left over for another hard drive a few years latter, that way you'll feel better about buying yet another shiny Mac for way too much money.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
I wonder what brand those hard drives are? Apple has to buy hard drives from the major brands just like the rest of us do. Brand shouldn't matter but sometimes it does. OTOH I have 3 laptops and have never taken the time to determine what brand of drive is in any of them.

Apple does gain brownie points for fixing machines that are out of warranty.

Hard drives seem to be more reliable these days but somewhere around or before 2007 I remember hearing about lots of people with failed hard drives. Whether you own an Apple or other you should still backup your important data.

haunted one

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
[citation][nom]homrqt[/nom]Apple is one name brand.. yet 40-60% of the articles here on Tomshardware are now Apple based, mostly ipad and rumor information. Toshiba, Dell, HP, Compaq, Gateway, Sony, IBM etc etc etc all provide less articles on Tom's combined, than Apple does alone.[/citation]

That's because people here loving tearing apart Apple. To me, this is just a normal action a company takes when they discover that they've shipped faulty products. If it were Sony or Dell in the article, there would be little fuss. But since it's Apple, people are coming up with various conspiracy theories to explain the free replacements. *shrug*

I'm not an Apple fan myself and agree that their products are overpriced and dislike Apple for many reasons but this is just a simple matter- free replacements for faulty parts (the fault lying with the manufacturer).

G

Just read that article dman posted above. Two things come to mind:

Police state threats and human rights violations in China? Perish the thought!

Yes, Foxconn makes Apple products. They also make products for Dell, HP, Motorola, Sony, Palm, and God-knows how many other companies. There are a lot of trade secrets from many different companies at Foxconn that could cost them big if they leaked.

I know the people who post here have a real hard-on for Apple-bashing, but how about at least bashing them for something they're actually responsible for?

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
Failing hard drives? What new features will Jobs come up with next? Thank god that Macs don't have the same problems that real computers have!

Computer_Lots

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
Apple doesn't make the hard drives. Which ones are failing???
Seagate, WD, Toshiba, Samsung, Fujitsu (if they still make these)???

I want to know what laptop drives to stay away from for the near future.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Apple is one name brand.. yet 40-60% of the articles here on Tomshardware are now Apple based, mostly ipad and rumor information. Toshiba, Dell, HP, Compaq, Gateway, Sony, IBM etc etc etc all provide less articles on Tom's combined, than Apple does alone.

Agreed, either Tomshardware mother company have struck a deal with Apple or its reporters are way to biased or lack the skill to find better things to write about. Either way it have become more of a iTomsHardware lately, main reason this isn't my first pick anymore to get good reviews etc - It feels more like a marketing machine than a independent news/review site...

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]dannynoarms[/nom]Just read that article dman posted above. Two things come to mind:police state threats and human rights violations in China? Perish the thought!Yes, Foxconn makes Apple products. They also make products for Dell, HP, Motorola, Sony, Palm, and God-knows how many other companies. There are a lot of trade secrets from many different companies at Foxconn that could cost them big if they leaked. I know the people who post here have a real hard-on for Apple-bashing, but how about at least bashing them for something they're actually responsible for?[/citation]And yet no one was beaten or thrown off the roof except for Apple products... Wow... I'm sure it's got nothing to do with Apple.

donovands

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
If I ran a site like this, I'd run every piece on Apple that I could. Those articles get the most attention and responses. It's like going to a Darwin convention and talking up Creationism. As for the subject of the article: I'm sorry, I thought Macs never crashed? Perhaps the price I paid for it covers the second replacement machine as well.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]Ok, all these new articles on Apple and yet nothing on this:http://brainstormtech.blogs.fortun [...] -supplier/Apple fanbois are blind idiots.[/citation]

It's in the pipeline to be published, don't worry. It's going up today.

RySean

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
Too damn late. My Macbook HDD died after 1.5 years of use, in December of '08. Had to pay out of pocket to replace it myself. Friggin' Apple, way to acknowledge this over a year too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.