Apple Backpeddles on Hardware Claims

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I don't think they are backpedaling on the monitor support. As of the time of this comment they still list "an external display" on the macbook tech specs page. I would think they'd change that to "Apple 30" Cinema Display" if it were the case.

jrabbitb

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2006
oh, apple added hardware and something isn't working. ... this is me not surprised, apple seems to fail more and more lately (just like i and many others said they would as the company gets bigger and tries to do/support more).

vider

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
This whole situation goes against Apple’s normally exemplary customer service
and support

What "exemplary" customer service are you talking here about? From all my experiences with apple products I remember only annoyance. I had to fight to get some of my stuff fixed. Brand new ipod nano 4th generation died on me for no reason, after I plugged it into my Mac mini, it JUST died. The customer service that I had was of a "It's your fault" we are not responsible for what happened to it, you'll need to pay $$$$$$ to get it fixed. And what about all those thousands and thousands of iBooks G3 and G4 that would would lose their display as of a faulty logic board design? Apple engineers seem to know what they are doing by placing a HOT chip up side down... Very smart. Lastly let's not forget the fact that Apple would constantly shut down any thread that would talk about this problem, a replacement board would cost you 600$, fixing the issue by a 3rd party would cost you 250$ and that would prolong your ibooks life for another 3 years (or so). Am I missing something? Why waste money on producing more logic boards (that would still have the problem arising), when you can just remove the chip and re-solder it? I had a t23 for more than 6 years, for all these years I haven't had a single problem (hardware related). I have come to hate apple. really sad.

seboj

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
I've had bad experiences with Apple Customer Service, but I won't go into length. I'll just bring up my favorite memory - calling up support for a product whose warranty ended the day before. The product had an out-of-warranty repair extension on it for an extra year for a known malfunctioning part. However, the customer service rep wouldn't let me talk to ANYONE, and he wouldn't even acknowledge the repair extension unless I paid $300 for an extended warranty FIRST.

Needless to say, I let him know what I thought of that policy, and hung up. Certainly exemplary.

G

I haven't had any problems with apple hardware or with there customer service. Of course I can't speak for people that have had issues all I know is that when my brother broke his macbook pro screen that fixed it without question.

pcCodinFoo

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I can't help but wonder how many more blunders like this is would take before Apple's loyal lemmings starts to realize that Apple is not what they want people to think they are, and they never have been.

I am dumbfounded by the people I know who keep buying Apple product even after they have had several of them die on them, as if it is okay - even expected - for a product to die after a few months.

That might be okay in Apple's little world of make believe where they are the god of electronics companies, but in the real world, that is unacceptable.

Of course, I would be foolish to wait to see if Apple junkies will ever see the light because of who they are.

Apple only appeals to the less than intelligent portion of the population. What other group of people could you so easily convince to run out and buy a new MacBook Pro just because the new ones are made from one solid piece of aluminum and have a non-removable battery?

Are those supposed to be advantages over the MacBook Pro these geniuses just bought 3 months prior? Can there be a more pathetic ploy to get people to buy your product than "we made the new one out of a single solid piece of aluminum"?

But it works, and Apple knew it would because they know their audience.

G

I refurbish macbooks and macbook pros all day let me tell you the crap that comes into our facility. All kinds of cosmetic issues, hdd failures, video failures, & poorly designed cases and connections on the main logic board. Excessive heat from a poorly designed heatsink and fan combo. Minimal venting for fresh air.

G

All these years, almost 15 and counting, I have been telling all my friends that Apple sells nothing BUT garbage. Overpriced garbage that is.

More and more people believe me. hah!

Nope, no rotten Apple logo in my house. ever.

SirCrono

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
I'm surprised to hear that. Shouldn't apple hardware just work?

I agree that if you factor price most apple products are just garbage

Dave K

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
I think Apple makes good products... but the price is a killer. I'd like to get an iMAC as a way of providing the wife and kids with a surfing machine that won't be prone to picking up spyware and won't have the kids clamoring for me to install games on it. The problem is that every time I price one on apple.com I get turned off by the absurd mark-up's.

150 bucks to upgrade from 2 to 4 gig of ddr2. $150!!! - that's at least $110 more than it should cost! I can understand a markup for the conveniance of getting stuff pre-installed... but 500+% markup is beyond excessive. $250 to upgrade from 500gig to 1tb... you can buy TWO 1tb hdd's outright for $250.

When accessories are that overpriced, it makes me question the value of the entire product (because lets face it... NO Apple pc's are what you would consider cheap).

wasteoftime

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2008
This whole situation goes against Apple’s normally exemplary customer service and support.

I'm not sure how this site got to be so pro-apple. I'm sick of people defending this company. It's not true on any level that their customer support and service are exemplary. I know for a fact that their laptops simply are not reliable and unless you're carrying apple care you're in for a crazy costly repair at some point. So far I've seen the power cord interface, hard drive (twice), and the case on a friend of mine's laptop just fall apart. He takes excellent care of his machine and it's a shame that without apple care he'd have been up the creek. It seems like there's always some problem with the machine and it's not even that old. I admit the Dell Laptops aren't as nice, but they're cheaper, faster, and from what I've seen way more reliable.

Doesn't anyone remember a few years ago when apple was selling computers with built in monitors that didn't have accurate color representation? Some people NEED this feature for photo-editing and that's why those people bought a Mac in the first place. What was their solution? DELETE their own forums and lock any conversation of the topic. That's some exemplary service, I tell you what.

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
Who cares what computer a person uses. People choose a platform that works best for them. People are obviously choosing Apple's products, since they're eating Microsoft's user base in record numbers these days. So readers here are going to be legitimately interested in what hardware they release. You can thank Microsoft's release of Vista for the faster adoption rate.

Being a hardware manufacturer and a software one, you're going to see issues like this from any company. Pretty shitty, but that's the usual risk people take by buying first generation hardware. Anyone who knows Apple knows to avoid the first generation of any system that they release since they're typically buggy.

falconqc

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2002
This whole situation goes against Apple’s normally exemplary customer service and support.
Sir, I do hope you jest!

But seriously for a moment, is anyone even surprised at this? Every Apple product I or any of my friends have bought have been defective in some way, and way overpriced. You laptop is cracked and overheats, your monitor only shows a fraction of the advertised colors, and now looks fuzzy when you use their proprietary display port? But I guess it ok, at least you look hip and cool!

And Crom, if I may quote you here:

Anyone who knows Apple knows to avoid [...] any system that they release since they're typically buggy.

I wholeheartedly agree! (In typical journalistic misquoting fashion)

Status
Not open for further replies.