Apple Considering EA Takeover? Yeah, Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
I don't see the point in this article. Its just a lot of hearsay.

I suppose if I play along then I can say that if they buy EA then the only PC platform that sucks at gaming will pick up a gaming company that only puts out games that suck and there will be equilibrium in the Mac universe. :)

Hatecrime69

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
sounds like a lame attempt at manipulating stock prices..as if ea would let themselves be bought..their the evil guys who do all the buying, not the other way around!

DeadlyPredator

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
"That makes more sense to their current business model than buying EA for more than twice that, doesn't it?"

And what if games were now designed for OSX first and windows in second because apple controls EA and activision... could be a very serious threat to MS's supremacy

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
This seems like wishful thinking from people who want to see Apple dominate the technological world.

They do have $29 billion in the bank though, so I'd expect that some big takeovers are imminent, but Apple has just never been interested in gaming. If they were they would support xfire and SLI in OS X before an EA takeover

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]sandmanwn[/nom]I don't see the point in this article. Its just a lot of hearsay.I suppose if I play along then I can say that if they buy EA then the only PC platform that sucks at gaming will pick up a gaming company that only puts out games that suck and there will be equilibrium in the Mac universe.[/citation]

MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY !!!!!!

next thing up DRM for macs !!!!

nah i don't think eitehr of the these things are likely to happen, I mean seriously EA is a massive company int eh game industry while apple is only a bit part player in the PC market, granted they ahve revived them selves from death with products like the ipod (that i swear i will never own). but EA honestly is not in any finacial trouble, i doubt thye are lookign to get bought.

as for an apple console ROMFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah .. right

Sega a compnay with bigger brains in teh console market got killed on teh previous generation proving thr market did not have space for 4 consoles. as it is now sony is having poor struggling sales with ps3 , if they were not such a massive entertainment company in general , and were just a game company they would be looking at chapter 11 right now, but sony has room to loose money , with blu ray royalties , thier music lable buisness , their movie studios and the 1000's of other electronic gadgets they make... I highly doubt that apple could "cut: in to the console market much less maintain teh income it requires to keep a sinking console from dying (which is what they would have to do. All new console companies will struggle at first if not out right sink , look how long ms had to struggle before they took seocnd place , original xbox stayed at 3rd place it's entire life cycle)

so no i doubt eitehr of these thigns are what is going on ,,, i cant beleive the wildest adn dumbest rumors that crop up.

more than likeley i suspect , they are lookign for a way to priotizea tiop end vid card (ie take an ati /nivida chip but slap it to thier own design of PBC) while this is also just a stab in the dark of a guess ... i think it is actually far more likely than the stupid rumors up top

G

It wouldn't make any sense for them to hold off on the PC platform release of a game if they did takeover EA. If they just release them at the same time they will be helping themselves tremendously and help take away the old "no games for macs" argument. Its also possible to help your competitor and still be profitable. Does Mac even want to be involved in the gaming sector? Does that hurt their brand somehow? I don't know if they want to get into a "Me Too!" situation with MS PC's vs MAC PC's

G

*sigh* it's understandable that rumors such as these fly around, the truth is nigh impossible to uncover, so I will help. The reason why Apple is stockpiling its cash is to build a spaceship that will rendezvous with the next great comet, set to come within range a little before 2012. In 2011, Steve Jobs will place 5 golden tickets in random special edition iPods. The tickets will grant a seat for you and one person of your choosing on the ship.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
They are probably trying to improve their mobile games business - iPhone and iPod Touch. After PA Semi, now the hiring of Richard Teversham and Bob Drebin makes sense. The deal with EA might be partially true, in the form of a closer collaboration in mobile games development. But I think this is as far as it will go.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
There's been a lot of speculation of what Apple will do with their money, this would be on the low end of the spectrum of likelyhood. I'd put my company ahead of EA, but even that's unlikely. EA is loosing money right now and Apple has NEVER cared about games. They leave it all to 3rd party support which is weak and I don't see them changing this just because there's a bunch of apps for the iPhone.

Even if they did buy it, they couldn't use it to hurt MS or Sony since EA is a market leader so they couldn't dictate terms to the company of who they do business with.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Apple could kill off the Xbox and Playstation brands in a single swoop if they bought EA. Just outright refuse to sell all EA titles to Microsoft or Sony and exclusively sell them on your own console. Game. Set. Match. Wow I hope that doesn't happen.

SirCrono

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
I'm wondering how awful it would be to have all those games for macs and no GPU to upgrade to, 1024x768 anybody?

G

Games for MAC!! Either as in a new console or as EA titles working on MAC OS X :D
Sounds great, lets stay tunned

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Apple could kill off the Xbox and Playstation brands in a single swoop if they bought EA. Just outright refuse to sell all EA titles to Microsoft or Sony and exclusively sell them on your own console. Game. Set. Match. Wow I hope that doesn't happen.[/citation]

Don't worry about this. I would compare this to MS buying Intel. They cannot dictate terms of they would do business with so Intel could still make chips for the PS3 etc. There are laws set up to prevent this from happening.

marokero

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
[citation][nom]SirCrono[/nom]I'm wondering how awful it would be to have all those games for macs and no GPU to upgrade to, 1024x768 anybody?[/citation]

What kind of uninformed statement is that? Are you still in the 80's?

Herbert_HA

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
That scenario would be so funny... EA becoming an Apple brand...
It's very unlikely to happen, but the world is full of surprises. At least it would be awesome to have more games in OpenGL instead of DirectX. The Linux crowd would probably benefit from that, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.