Apple Could Lose Rights to iPad Name in China

Status
Not open for further replies.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Should be interesting to see how they manage this. Since the company that owns the name does not have a product in the market they will probably just license it for China.

kensingtron

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
Dear Samsung,

Please buy out Proview Technologies, I hear it going cheap! Then stick it to Apple and re-brand your "Galaxy Tab" "Ipad" in China. Failing that rename it Megatron just to mess with Hasbro

Kind regards,
Kensingtron

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]kensingtron[/nom]Dear Samsung,Please buy out Proview Technologies, I hear it going cheap! Then stick it to Apple and re-brand your "Galaxy Tab" "Ipad" in China. Failing that rename it Megatron just to mess with HasbroKind regards,Kensingtron[/citation]
Now that would be hilarious

G

Couldn't happen to a more consumer friendly company. About time someone sold Apple a bill of goods as bad as they've been giving to everyone ignorant enough to buy their products.

acerace

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
[citation][nom]kensingtron[/nom]Dear Samsung,Please buy out Proview Technologies, I hear it going cheap! Then stick it to Apple and re-brand your "Galaxy Tab" "Ipad" in China. Failing that rename it Megatron just to mess with HasbroKind regards,Kensingtron[/citation]

You make me laugh quiet loud.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
"Proview requested that imports and exports of iPad be stopped by Chinese Customs. The government's response was that such a request would be hard to implement."

How much did Apple paid the Chinese government to ensure this response?

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]"Proview requested that imports and exports of iPad be stopped by Chinese Customs. The government's response was that such a request would be hard to implement."How much did Apple paid the Chinese government to ensure this response?[/citation]

Why would Apple need to pay them anything.. Proview as a company is almost and completely dead. This company does not have an exisiting product that uses that name and hasn't had one for a long time and of which was never made to look or function like the tablet Apple has designed.

Also, since their affillate companies sold the rights to the same it should be amended that this name right be upheld in the mainland.

This is not a backing for Apple, it is just a general rule of thumb for any business doing business in China. This would be no different than if Samsung was told that Galaxy Tab was being used by Proview and they would like them to stop selling the Galaxy Tab in China.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[[citation][nom]kensingtron[/nom]Dear Samsung,Please buy out Proview Technologies, I hear it going cheap! Then stick it to Apple and re-brand your "Galaxy Tab" "Ipad" in China. Failing that rename it Megatron just to mess with HasbroKind regards,Kensingtron[/citation]
When a 12 year old becomes CEO of Samsung then that might be a possibility. Since it's run by someone with common sense, nothing like this will ever see the light of day.

Nothing will come of this. Proview asking for $1.5 billion? And talking about filing a $2 billion suit in the US? Being greedy is one thing - this is borderline criminal.

Don't be upset you sold the rights for a measly $55,000. Even back in 2009 everyone and his dog knew about the iPod and iPhone. Surely someone could see the value in the iPad trademark and decide to hold onto it instead of letting it go for that sum. Wonder who the idiot was that agreed to that amount?

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010

That would be too awesome. Apple would then sue Samsung for intentionally impeding Apple or something like that and it would be great to see how THAT goes. Too be honest, Samsung might get yelled at in the corporate/government world for uncompetitive actions while us customers cheer them on. Either way, I'd be cheering them on :)

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
In the wake of previous victories in smaller jurisdictions, Proview requested that imports and exports of iPad be stopped by Chinese Customs.

Hey Apple, if your product was MADE IN AMERICA you would not have to worry about that now would ya? Jack Ass!

Status
Not open for further replies.