Apple Denied Appeal in Australian Galaxy Tab Ban Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

nao1120

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Good to have some competition. I think a 300 dollar price tag would be reasonable for a tablet. Since it costs 170-200 to make. I don't have a use for one yet.... Maybe when there is a use later on in life.

de5_Roy

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
may be the court finally realized that apple wants to create a monopoly for their highly overpriced tablets and other ios devices. serves apple right.

john15v16

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
It's about blasted time that the courts display common sense and stop this apple foolishness. I "previously" really liked apple until after all this fad iphone and ipad crap. Never thought the industry would bend like this because of one companies whims (oooops I forgot about MS) but, still man it didn't make good sense. Oh and BTW i really like Flash for all you trend trolls out there who just need something to talk about to make yourselves seem like you're in the loop. You obviously don't program and are simply pissed because the web doesn't look right on your stupid "I" device. And for all you noob JavaScript programmers who want to try and comment on my comments above, forget you too cause' any real seasoned javascript programmer knows that the real issue holding back the web isn't flash it's JavaScript because it's too damn rudimentary of a programming language and the other issue how the web treats dynamic data of any type (be it flash or ajax) the HTTP protocol needs to be re-invented to support dynamic data now, those are the real issues.

friskiest

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
Serves them right; its quite ironic that Apple is so obsessed in this matter even when the iPad/iPhone 4 is actually powered by Samsung's A4 chip.

About the design,. sure, they may have quite a similarity, but if someone has the money to buy a $500 iPad it shouldn't be hard for them to know which is which.

Competition Apple,. thats how you SHOULD play the game.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
wait wait wait...

The newspaper cites one of the judges in the high court today as saying Apple only won the first injunction 'by the skin of its teeth' because Samsung was penalised for refusing to agree to an early final hearing.

are you telling me that instead of justice and whats right, samsung lost the first time because it didn't want the whole thing rushed?

if so... i find that sick.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]wait wait wait... are you telling me that instead of justice and whats right, samsung lost the first time because it didn't want the whole thing rushed? if so... i find that sick.[/citation]
Not exactly. Until a judgement was made, there was a chance that samsung was harming apple in some way. The judge cannot arbitrarily be anti-apple and say, "Aw, ya lousey bunch of patent trolls!", but instead has to actually be impartial. Therefore the court has an obligation to avoid any potential damage until a determination could be made. Samsung was offered a chance to get a quick answer so as not to waste time. They refused.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]nao1120[/nom]Good to have some competition. I think a 300 dollar price tag would be reasonable for a tablet. Since it costs 170-200 to make. I don't have a use for one yet.... Maybe when there is a use later on in life.[/citation]
Where are you getting these numbers from? The Amazon Kindle Fire is a very scaled back tablet (no camera, a mere 8 GB, and smallish screen, etc.) and is selling for $199 USD and it is widely believed that they are losing money on it in order to sell digital content for the thing.

egidem

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
This news brings me joy! :D It goes to show that with all the influence and money that Apple has there are still good people out there in the world who will say NO to their bribes.

Uberragen21

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
[citation][nom]nao1120[/nom]Good to have some competition. I think a 300 dollar price tag would be reasonable for a tablet. Since it costs 170-200 to make. I don't have a use for one yet.... Maybe when there is a use later on in life.[/citation]
"iPad 2 Carries Bill of Materials of $326.60"
iPad 2 BOM
"The Samsung Galaxy Tab has a Bill of Materials (BOM) of $205.22"
Galaxy Tab 10.1 BOM
I believe that BOM is for the 16 GB models on both tablets. Kind of makes you wonder why Samsung doesn't make their product much more competitively priced. I can only assume the company needs to make up loses from the extended legal battles.

Status
Not open for further replies.