Apple Fined Millions for Misleading Australian Customers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robi_g

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
The UK has a trial one in London run by O2, probably to make the country look good for the Olympics.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I'm 100% against Apple.

But in this case, I think that most companies do exactly the same thing.
I take foe example HARD DRIVES, now we know (or most of us understand) that whatever the advertised number will never match the actual available space on the drives.

But the average consumer (almost everybody else) don't understand any of it.
So they are mislead every time that they "have to" or "need to" upgrade or buy an entire new PC.
(in a new PC multiply the number of components to get an appropriate number of misleads)
as each component (or brand) does advertise more that they can actually do.

Another simple example are printers: xx ppm
but the xx refers to the lowest output on that printer if the user wants to print at the highest dpi
his/her experience could be very frustrating because they think that their printer is S-L-O-W-E-R than they thought.

In short companies should be clearer so the average consumer understand what are they getting into.

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]I'm 100% against Apple.But in this case, I think that most companies do exactly the same thing.I take foe example HARD DRIVES, now we know (or most of us understand) that whatever the advertised number will never match the actual available space on the drives.But the average consumer (almost everybody else) don't understand any of it.So they are mislead every time that they "have to" or "need to" upgrade or buy an entire new PC.(in a new PC multiply the number of components to get an appropriate number of misleads)as each component (or brand) does advertise more that they can actually do.Another simple example are printers: xx ppm but the xx refers to the lowest output on that printer if the user wants to print at the highest dpihis/her experience could be very frustrating because they think that their printer is S-L-O-W-E-R than they thought. In short companies should be clearer so the average consumer understand what are they getting into.[/citation]
Actually, about the HDD speeds, though on average, it will not reach the advertised speeds, but the speeds advertised are its PEAK speeds, ones that are achievable only under the perfect conditions.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]-Jackson[/nom]Actually, about the HDD speeds, though on average, it will not reach the advertised speeds, but the speeds advertised are its PEAK speeds, ones that are achievable only under the perfect conditions.[/citation]

you are correct, I wasn't even touching "speed", just the advertised "size", I'm agreeing with you though.
the point is that ALL manufactures LIE, they advertise (name product here) as (name specs here) but the actual real end user gets nowhere near that. Some of us understand why, but the average user (most people) do not.

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]you are correct, I wasn't even touching "speed", just the advertised "size", I'm agreeing with you though.the point is that ALL manufactures LIE, they advertise (name product here) as (name specs here) but the actual real end user gets nowhere near that. Some of us understand why, but the average user (most people) do not.[/citation]
My apologies, I misread your post. :p

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]you are correct, I wasn't even touching "speed", just the advertised "size", I'm agreeing with you though.the point is that ALL manufactures LIE, they advertise (name product here) as (name specs here) but the actual real end user gets nowhere near that. Some of us understand why, but the average user (most people) do not.[/citation]
No the sizes the HDD makers give and the sizes that the OS gives are identical, you do get exactly what you pay for they just use 2 different ways of measuring. Makers measure using Gigabytes and Terabytes just like it says, what most don't know is that most (OSX no longer measures this way) OSes don't measure in Gigabytes and Terabytes they measure in Gibibytes and Tebibytes and so they have to do a conversion to that measurement. That is the reason the number is lower, if the OSes would measure in GB and TB and not GiB and TiB (yes OSes use the wrong acronyms too) the numbers on the box would match the number in the OS.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Corporations know only the language of money. If they can screw their customer out of an extra $100 Million and risk a $5 Million fine basic math -and low regards to ethics- tell you do go for it as it is obviously 'good business'.

Kinda like the car companies do; fix an exploding gas tank...$200 Mio; possible lawsuits for not fixing... $50 Mio... don't fix it and start diggin' a few graves.

G

What a bunch of BS. Apple did nothing wrong; the device IS a 4G device.

They should sue Australia, or just buy that third-world nation.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]No the sizes the HDD makers give and the sizes that the OS gives are identical, you do get exactly what you pay for they just use 2 different ways of measuring. Makers measure using Gigabytes and Terabytes just like it says, what most don't know is that most (OSX no longer measures this way) OSes don't measure in Gigabytes and Terabytes they measure in Gibibytes and Tebibytes and so they have to do a conversion to that measurement. That is the reason the number is lower, if the OSes would measure in GB and TB and not GiB and TiB (yes OSes use the wrong acronyms too) the numbers on the box would match the number in the OS.[/citation]

+1
Not many people seem to understand the difference between GiB/TiB and TB/GB. Windows and such as the liars, not the hard drive manufacturers.

Status
Not open for further replies.