Apple Gets Beaten by Nexus One in HTML5, Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

lashton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
i hear that adobe is now going to resume flash support after jobs grovelled to them about flash, while HTML 5 will eventually take off for the next 1-2 years flash will still lead the way, it may be superseded by a new technology based on flash by adobe, but android is killing iOS and will continue, strange how the android device did not do better in the javascript test

Kaiser_25

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
ya flash is totally viable, makes me mad the Steve jobs wont admit it, hes just trying to push HTML5 cuz its what he wants. Flash will be useful for years to come.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
The only way i could see flash ever get replaced by HTML 5 during the next 5-10 years is if Apple paid site developers to code in HTML 5..

nuster100

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
[citation][nom]lashton[/nom]i hear that adobe is now going to resume flash support after jobs grovelled to them about flash, while HTML 5 will eventually take off for the next 1-2 years flash will still lead the way, it may be superseded by a new technology based on flash by adobe, but android is killing iOS and will continue, strange how the android device did not do better in the javascript test[/citation]
[citation][nom]lashton[/nom]i hear that adobe is now going to resume flash support after jobs grovelled to them about flash, while HTML 5 will eventually take off for the next 1-2 years flash will still lead the way, it may be superseded by a new technology based on flash by adobe, but android is killing iOS and will continue, strange how the android device did not do better in the javascript test[/citation]

Do you have any evidence to back up your comments or is this another case of Apple bashing??

I don't deny that flash has its uses, but I find myself increasingly using a flash blocking plug-in so I don't get bothered by ads. Certain tools I use for my job such a logmein are exceptions though.

How do the android devices perform in the real world when presented with a flash heavy site such as for a recent movie etc? Do they run at near desktop speed, or is it reduced to a crawl?

lejay

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
[citation][nom]nuster100[/nom]Do you have any evidence to back up your comments or is this another case of Apple bashing??I don't deny that flash has its uses, but I find myself increasingly using a flash blocking plug-in so I don't get bothered by ads. Certain tools I use for my job such a logmein are exceptions though.How do the android devices perform in the real world when presented with a flash heavy site such as for a recent movie etc? Do they run at near desktop speed, or is it reduced to a crawl?[/citation]

Funny how the respond to ignorant iOS bashing is ignorant android bashing.
[citation][nom]nuster100[/nom]Do you have any evidence to back up your comments or is this another case of Apple bashing??I don't deny that flash has its uses, but I find myself increasingly using a flash blocking plug-in so I don't get bothered by ads. Certain tools I use for my job such a logmein are exceptions though.How do the android devices perform in the real world when presented with a flash heavy site such as for a recent movie etc? Do they run at near desktop speed, or is it reduced to a crawl?[/citation]

G

Doesn't matter how good html 5 is as long as its development speed is a snail, flash will always be superior.

Html 4 has been out for at least 6 years without any major update/improvement, while flash has gone along way over the same period

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
ah flash, the cancer of the internet.
i open up chrome and look at flash heavy sites because i block it completely in firefox, scroll over adds are the worst, having to watch where i move my mouse or else a flash movie will start and may crash my browser, or how about the adds with the blue text? i scroll over those my accident and holy shit i cant close or move them causing me to reopen the website so i can read the text its covering up.

flash had its uses and is good for some things, but all the other times? its only a cancer that kills my web browsing experience.

use a damn gif if you do nothing but a small animation, its less resource intensive than flash.

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
Yeah, Flash is cancer... pretty much everything Adobe is as far as I'm concerned but you know, so is MSword, IE and McCrappy and a great many other products that dominate the market... don't we see a pattern here?

nukemaster

Distinguished
alidan, Use a GIF? 8 bit color anyone(mmm grain)? No vector images? Bad idea by today's standards.

On that note, I Have practically no flash related crashes over here(maybe 1 every 6 months if that). If you are sick of ads. Get ad block plus for Firefox/Chrome and be done with 99% of ads.

G

This is poor article about an unfair and poorly implemented test, when both the flash and html versions are implemented similarly the performance is the same, or a little better for html.

http://twitter.com/ryang_uk/status/25040888606
http://fatgr.in/jstest.html
http://www.satine.org/research/webkit/hacks/ballbounce/

And the same goes to comparing a nexus one with an iPod touch (the old generation) you should have to compare it to an iPhone 4 or the new iPod touch...

G

It's how it is used that matters.the bulk of Flash is used in an ignorant and wasteful (CPU cycles) way. That's why it is a cancer - unhealthy impact on the WWW browsing experience.

puscifer919

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
[citation][nom]lejay[/nom]Funny how the respond to ignorant iOS bashing is ignorant android bashing.[/citation]
I must've missed the part where he bashed Android. You quoted his comment twice, but did you read it even once?

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
Flash is quite clunky, and as mentioned they didn't show what impact it had on CPU loads, but it does perform nicely. This has been known for quite some time.

tu_illegalamigo

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
They really should have made it droid vs. iphone 4. Battle to the death! And I agree, cpu load and battery life are also very important factors that must be weighed when measuring the total performance.

nuster100

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
[citation][nom]lejay[/nom]Funny how the respond to ignorant iOS bashing is ignorant android bashing.[/citation]

Wasn't about being ignorant or bashing, it was a simple question to those on here who have used this in the real word. How does it perform in the real world?

xyriin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]ah flash, the cancer of the internet.i open up chrome and look at flash heavy sites because i block it completely in firefox, scroll over adds are the worst, having to watch where i move my mouse or else a flash movie will start and may crash my browser, or how about the adds with the blue text? i scroll over those my accident and holy shit i cant close or move them causing me to reopen the website so i can read the text its covering up.flash had its uses and is good for some things, but all the other times? its only a cancer that kills my web browsing experience.use a damn gif if you do nothing but a small animation, its less resource intensive than flash.[/citation]
Do you really think for a minute that if HTML5 were the standard you wouldn't see obnoxious HTML5 ads all over the page? Let us all admit that Flash is the current standard and that ads will use the flavor of the month to interrupt your web browsing.

jgiron

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
it's all about the $money.
one reason Apple won't allow flash is because they would loose a lot of revenue to all those free flash games out there (also, let's not forget the free flash apps)

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
I am betting Steve has this HTML5 vs Flash position because 1) HTML 5 does not have DRM 2) Quicktime has DRM 3) Quicktime can be embedded in HTML 5

Steve is looking to replace flash videos with quicktime videos

Status
Not open for further replies.