Apple iPad Coming to Target, 2G Version in Q4 2010?

Status
Not open for further replies.

7amood

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]Pfff..... why buy an iPad when you can get an Archos tablet running Android for significantly less money AND removable storage?[/citation]
sorry to burst your bubble, but Archos tablets fail...
IMO that still doesn't justify getting an ipad
so i'd rather not get a tablet (current technology) than getting either

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Looks like Apple is out in full force to push FaceTime as the next biggest thing. But it isn't. People have had 3G video calling for years, and yet it never really took off.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]I'll buy two of these for my kids if they come in 7" versions.Not gonna waste my money on PSP, Nintendo or some other "startup tablet".[/citation]

I doubt your kids are worried about having a "startup" tablet.

they probably will worry about having a "startup" games console, which is what the ipad is... and i'm being generous there...

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
2G confused me...I thought maybe they were making a cheaper version that couldn't surf the web as fast as the one with 3G! (I doubt they'll call it 2G for that reason)

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]matt87_50[/nom]I doubt your kids are worried about having a "startup" tablet. they probably will worry about having a "startup" games console, which is what the ipad is... and i'm being generous there...[/citation]
My kids play with my two iPhone 4's right now. Dollar for dollar, the App Store gives me more entertainment value than a PSP or DS. I can buy a single game for $1.99 and run it on 4 iPhones/iPods without paying for additional copies.

And I've found through experience my kids prefer having a bunch of smaller games than a single mega title.

This is with the current App Store and its selection of games. Now add in Game Centre and a reason for developers to start adding more titles and things are only going to get better - much better.

I doubt any developer is going to develop games for the Android tablet market. There are numerous companies talking about tablets. They all have different specs and different hardware configurations. Developers are going to love having to make changes to their code so their applications can run on so many varieties of hardware. Never mind Google saying Android isn't really optimized for tablets (apparently Samsung has made a few code changes to allow their Galaxy Tab to run Android - are all Android tablets going to require custom modifications to work properly)?

Although people whine about Apple being a closed system, it's this system which makes it easy for developers to make Apps that run on all iOS devices since you're dealing with a very specific and know set of variables.

BTW, anyone who bitches about Apple being closed and restrictive should go and develop games for any console or portable.

samely

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]BTW, anyone who bitches about Apple being closed and restrictive should go and develop games for any console or portable.[/citation]
Yeah, that's not apples to oranges at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.