Apple Kills Pre Syncing With iTunes Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonr49

Distinguished
May 13, 2006
If I were Palm I'd be a little more then disgusted by this... but from Apple's point of view it's not illegal and let's face it... they aren't friends with Palm. Can't say I blame them for blocking the Pre from syncing.

trevorblain

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
Sorry if this starts a flame war, but this story just pisses me off.

Imagine if you will that instead of Apple, it was... oh lets just say Microsoft... that pulled a stunt like this THREE TIMES. Courts from a dozen different states and the whole damn EU would be all over em like flies on, well, you know. Why is it that Windows having IE built in is anticompetitive, but Safari is just fine?

I'm not a MS or Windows fanboy, they do plenty the irks me as well, but what I can't stand is Apple being treated like some sort of underdog hero for pulling the same kind of stunts MS does. The two companies have been around for about the same amount of time (give or take) and PC holds the lion share of users. All this says is Apple shot themselves in the foot by engaging in practices such as the one in the story.

Sorry folks, Apple isn't the scrappy skinny actor sassing the fat Microsoft actor in the adds. They are bullies in their own right. God I hate Apple!

Grow up apple, take it as a compliment that Palm wants to use your crappy software.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
MS - Can't install software (IE) on its own OS without legal trouble.
Apple - Can completely block out the competition.

This seems perfectly logical...

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Regardless on whether its legal or not, its probably not good business practice to piss off potential customers by acting like a bully.

the_one111

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
[citation][nom]supertrek32[/nom]MS - Can't install software (IE) on its own OS without legal trouble.Apple - Can completely block out the competition.This seems perfectly logical...[/citation]
Sigh, so true.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
Why both sync you pre to itunes anyway. If you have a PC just download your songs to your PC then take them over to your Palm Pre, nothing to it. To me it's just a jole that their both playing, and stoping pre from hooking up to Itunes doesn't stop people from downloading from Itunes to their PC then to their Pre. Why would Apple waist their time with this sillyness, their not stoping anyone from useing Itunes, their throwing a small curve ball that does very little. So Sad Apple. The funny part about it is there is plenty of third party software packages that does what Itunes does and more so i hope people who are tired of the sillyness look elsewhere and stop paying Apple for their music, than Apple can just fade away into lost time.

bk420

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
LOL, the battle goes on btw Apple & Palm...slowly in the background google & partners releases more and more Androids....Keep updating us TH on this retarded issue.

frozenlead

Distinguished
I have to side with Apple on this one, though I'm an Apple hater. It's their software, guys, not Palm's. They can do what they want with it; closing a piece of software to only work with a specific piece of hardware is nothing new.

The only "wrong" thing with iTunes (besides it sucking) is that if someone had bought songs off of it, they can only play those songs on iTunes/Apple devices. That's terrible; you bought the song, not an iPod.

G

Reason No. 4780043 that I do not support Apple's proprietary computing business model.

timbozero

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
[citation][nom]frozenlead[/nom]I have to side with Apple on this one, though I'm an Apple hater. It's their software, guys, not Palm's. They can do what they want with it; closing a piece of software to only work with a specific piece of hardware is nothing new. The only "wrong" thing with iTunes (besides it sucking) is that if someone had bought songs off of it, they can only play those songs on iTunes/Apple devices. That's terrible; you bought the song, not an iPod.[/citation]

DRM was removed from iTunes purchased songs ages ago , what you say was true but isn't anymore.

G

RIM's BlackBerry Media Sync is the prime example of the proper, ethical way to sync non-Apple devices with iTunes (and Windows Media Player) music files.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
why can't palm just come out with their own syncing software? why must palm try and piggy-back off the syncing of Itunes?... Why couldn't palm come out with "PalmTunes"? for their device?

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Sorry if this starts a flame war, but this story just pisses me off.

Imagine if you will that instead of Apple, it was... oh lets just say Microsoft... that pulled a stunt like this THREE TIMES. Courts from a dozen different states and the whole damn EU would be all over em like flies on, well, you know. Why is it that Windows having IE built in is anticompetitive, but Safari is just fine?
Actually the whole hissy fit of the lawsuit was the fact that you couldn't Uninstall IE in windows. See Apple ships with safari, but you can throw safari in the trash and install firefox and that becomes the default browser. In windows you Can't uninstall IE, only get rid of the icon so you can use your firefox all you want but POOF suddenly your IE pops up with an ad.

phexac

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Omitting whether or not Apple has the right to limit the use of its software, why would ANYONE in their right mind want to use iTunes when they don't have to?

Status
Not open for further replies.