Apple Launches New iPhone, Sells Old 3G for $99

Status
Not open for further replies.

IronRyan21

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
With the old 3G at 99 dollars, I would buy the old one.Its still 3G just double capacity, and some improvements. The great news is the 99 dollar deal.

repairdrone

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
ATT= NO MMS, NO 3G Slingbox, NO Tether=NO good network. Not even going to mention the dropped calls and so on.
How much $ would Apple loose if they pulled out of their exclusive agreements? I would say that in the long run they stand to gain more by doing so.
But I’m just a drone, what is my spit worth?

justjc

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
Seems you forgot the built in digital compass, voice control and "Hardware Encryption" for businesses, as well as the fact that they claim the new iPhone is 2-3x as fast as the 3G version. The added S is supposed to be for Speed.

As for the competition with Palm Pre I still think the comparison is wrong.
The iPhone is more of a personal entertainment center and status symbol than a phone. The Palm Pre on the other hand is more of a PDA than a mediacenter, and it will do a good job for those wanting a Personal Digital Assistant to help them multitask keeping track of agreements, meetings and free time. For bussiness users I would expect the Pre to beat the iPhone, as a personal phone/entertainment center the iPhone wins.

tx4runner

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
Since my IPOD died earlier this year, and my Sprint contract with cheapo phone ends in September, I'm looking to pick up the new iPhone and resolve multiple issue with one device.

tx4runner

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
Since my IPOD died earlier this year, and my Sprint contract with cheapo phone ends in September, I'm looking to pick up the new iPhone and resolve multiple issue with one device.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
I like the tool that allows us to locate our phone. That tool will not only send the ring to our phone but also tell us where it is right now (w/ a map). The new OS3.0/iPhone3GS also support the function to remotely wipe out our iPhone if it is lost/stolen. Guess we just need to amke sure we are not giving our password to anybody... ;)

VidGameKing

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
I'm gonna save my pennies and NOT upgrade from my 3G (16GB) to the newest model. Simply because the differences are not big enough to justify the change. This is like a stepping stone to the next real update. Like Windows 98SE. I'm going save $30 a month untill next June/July and buy the next big upgrade. Who knows, Maybe it'll finally do video chat, 802.11n support, and 64GB of space! I'll wait for that!

trevorvdw

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
[citation][nom]gimpy1[/nom]You missed tethering; yes the iPhone supports tethering. Too bad ATT does not.I hate ATT.[/citation]

ATT supports tethering on several of its phones. Its deliberately disabled on the iphone. So whether that's ATT or Apple I'm not sure.

TheMan1214

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
[citation][nom]Curnel_D[/nom]Lol, which indicates what kind of consumers you are. Aside from the fact that I doubt either of you have used a zune, you're making predetermined opinions about a device that hasnt even been released yet.[/citation]
i personally prefer the way the zune music download/buy system is run. monthly rates are fun and ATT service is so crappy i'd rather just stick with a half cheapo phone. I carry a laptop around so having a iphone is kind of pointless for me.

midnightgun

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2007
[citation][nom]Curnel_D[/nom]Lol, which indicates what kind of consumers you are. Aside from the fact that I doubt either of you have used a zune, you're making predetermined opinions about a device that hasnt even been released yet.[/citation]

I personally prefer my phone to have.. you know.. phone qualities and such... Which is why I wouldn't get a Zune...

Steve911924

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
It is a worthy replacement for a music/ video player, plus the new OS features are a welcome release, but IMO it is weak in some areas though, as with the original Iphone & 3G Model

Think of other mobile phones - 5mpx camera is a minimum for a mid-range phone with 8mpx and even 12mpx camera rounding out the high end. The new Iphone has only a 3mpx cam and for the asking price it seems a little thin. My old viewty still kicks out great pics and I have plenty of room to store them thanks to an 8GB card.

I haven't heard any news of this phone's GPS capabilities, but what I do remember was a friend being bitterly disappointed by the meek GPS receiver on his 3G and with all the 3rd party software available, couldn't use the GPS on the handset unless piggybacked by expensive data charges.

By what I have read, the Iphone 3.0 has some great new features yet to be seen on a handset (The compass and tracking abilities, enormous amount of internal storage), but I feel given the technology and capabilities of other phones out on the market right now, I feel this is what the "old" Iphone should have been and this one is 90% perfect, especially with some new innovative features, just with a few areas I personally feel should have been increased somewhat. We would then have the perfect mobile device.

Status
Not open for further replies.