Apple Most Profitable Phone Company in the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
Not surprised. In classic Apple fashion, they are selling hardware with an incredibly high mark up and pull huge profits from people lining up to buy them.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
Apparently they are achieving this with only 2.5% market share. 2.5 PERCENT!!
and yet they are the MOST profitable!

I mean in Aus, the outright price on an iphone is 2 to 3 times MORE than the ipod touch. JUST to get the phone and camera part?!??!?
I couldn't understand what was going on, now I do!

everyone who bought an iphone got suckered in by the "oh no, its only $200, or FREE .... on a really expensive 24 month contract...."

just goes to show, charge people a little amount repeatedly over time rather than a one off price, and they will be completely blind to the true cost.

lashton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
yes nokia still probally sell more physical units than apple because they have a wider range, ill still buy a nokia over the Iphone

tipmen

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
This shouldn't be news to anyone.... We know there are plenty of people that are dumb and shallow enough to buy something overpriced and flashy for image.

ellmondo

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
hey my phone has access to over 50,000 applications, the best web browsing experience on a phone and a fast processor, suck on that Iphone hatters! plus next revision of the phone is only going to be better! You can hate it all you want but i can do almost anything your phones can with mine plus more. Iphone rocks.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]ellmondo[/nom]You can hate it all you want but i can do almost anything your phones can with mine plus more. Iphone rocks.[/citation] Does not compute...

And on you other notes, 50,000 apps but how many are unique or just rehashes of the other 10,000 apps. My phone continually loads web pages faster than any iPhone reversion. Yes it has a fast processor, enjoy using it for your 1 app limit while I take my processor of similar speed and actually use it when I load a second, third, fifth, or twentieth app.

dhowie

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
what surprises me the most is that apple became the most profitable cell phone company under the at&t, quite possibly the worst cell phone provider ive dealt with, and judging by other complaints they barely have service for those phones. every tech website ive went to complains about at&t's spotty service.

dhowie

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
what surprises me the most is that apple became the most profitable cell phone company under the at&t, quite possibly the worst cell phone provider ive dealt with, and judging by other complaints they barely have service for those phones. every tech website ive went to complains about at&t's spotty service.

dhowie

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
haha hey ellmondo

“iPhone tethering is coming soon.”

– AT&T Mobility CEO Ralph De La Vega, Nov. 6, 2008

“We plan to offer tethering on the iPhone but have not announced a date.”

– An AT&T spokesman Nov. 9, 2009

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]ellmondo[/nom] plus next revision of the phone is only going to be better! [/citation]

yeah, just a shame you won't be able to get the new revision when it comes out in 12 months cause you'll still be on a 24 month contract with the old one...

kageryu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
Yes, it is because of retards that like shiny white products that cost only 20% of the retail price to manufacture and have no freedom to modify any component or software and pay extra cash just to get a f**king battery replaced!

/rant

ckthecerealkiller

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
If that is right that is freaking OUTRAGEOUS. Nokia holds about 20% of the market, versus apple's 6... thats right 6%! Yet somehow Apple pulls off more profit from the US....

Or well, Nokia still kills everyone in terms of global sales. They own about 40% of the global market.

ckthecerealkiller

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
If that is right that is freaking OUTRAGEOUS. Nokia holds about 20% of the market, versus apple's 6... thats right 6%! Yet somehow Apple pulls off more profit from the US....

Oh well, Nokia still kills everyone in terms of global sales. They own about 40% of the global market.

vant

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Maybe this is a case of innovation = profit.

Many seem to forget that the sum of all parts is not equal to value. If you believe in that philosophy, than you should avoid steakhouses and stick with the dollar menus.

What Apple has done here is nothing short of amazing. After two years of hardly any major revision, the iPhone continues to rise in sales. Apple also blew up a market (apps) which may be the way we purchase all programs in the future.

I find it disappointing however that after two years, there is still no decent competitor. The DROID brought my hopes up, but it's design is not mainstream.

Sushi Warrior

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
They sell the phone for $500 when it costs them under $150-200 to make. No wonder they're profitable - AT&T is a pile of retards, offering a similar service. Somehow it remains profitable....

Status
Not open for further replies.