Apple Patent Detects Device Abuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

beehew

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
Personally, I'll stay away from anything equipped to deny me a return or refund.
"Hmm... says here that it was dropped."
"Yeah, after it exploded, I sure did drop it."

G

Wow, what's next - a built in GPS tracker to make sure you don't take it out of the country?

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
How are we to know that this "abuse event recorder" will not label a device failure as abuse? I hope that someone finds a quick workaround for this mechanism, then the consumer will have the last laugh.

Aoster87

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
People are really gonna start to get pissed off by Apple when they 1) pay an assload for one of their overpriced devices and 2) pays even more for an extended warranty just to find out that their device reports abuse or some shit and cannot be replaced.

acecombat

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
So I go and buy a new car, take it out the front and crash it, should I get a refund because I damaged it? I can see, from a companies perspective why they would want to integrate such a thing...But what if the sensor is faulty???

cabose369

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
This is just another way that Apple is trying to screw the customer and save themselves money. Warranties already suck enough... now they are going to come up with EVERY excuse not to fix it now.

News Flash: You can drop something and it still works!!! Hell, I've dropped my Blackberry over 10 times and it still works. Now all Apple will do is pin the blame of the problem to the fact that you dropped it, even if it has nothing to do with that issue... and the customer is too STUPID to even realize that it doesn't and will open their wallets so that Apple can take even more of the customers money.

I hate Apple.......

G

Apple sheep and their toys are the testing grounds for police state features to be implemented by Microsoft for the masses. Windows and OSX already leave a ton of forensics info and backdoors, and the company that helped Microsoft with their Bitlocker encryption assured everyone that it "wouldn't be a problem for law enforcement".

Linux EXT3 and EXT4 file systems start overwriting any kind of forensics trail from a previous session every time the drive is mounted, and Truecrypt provides excellent cryptography, which isn't even feasible to brute-force crack with a long and complex enough password.

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
so you're saying the moron with a 2 digit iq and a 5 digit yearly income behind the counter is qualified to diagnose complex electronics? Highly unlikely, not to mention, crApple will just make the policies strict. Happen to live in a place with high humidity? well you're screwed. jog with your device? well there's an impact right there. Explodes in your pocket? well it was your fault for not buying a new one soon enough.
/sarcasm
Ps: i wouldn't include the "sarcasm" bit, but i know there are some idiots who won't get it.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
its like that little tab in cell phones that turn pink when they detect moisture and the phone provider refuses to warranty the product.

silversquare

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
What if you buy a product which was dropped or mis-handled by the store you bought it, or the shipping company who shipped it or someone else along the chain prior to your ownership? Would the events have dates and would you get a copy of this so you could prove that you did not own the dvice at the time the alleged incident occurred?

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
You're all morons. The rabid hate for Apple amuses me, as if the alternatives are any better. Stop buying electronic devices if you can't handle how big companies act, because they're all the same. No one even bothered to bring up the only question that really matters, which is how much will all of these sensors add to the cost and what happens when a sensor goes bad or is inaccurate or not calibrated correctly?

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
"The system may incluve an interface by which a viagnostic vevice may access the memory to analyze the recorvs and vetermine whether a consumer abuse event occurrev, when the event occurrev, anv, in some emboviments, what type of abuse event occurrev," the patent reads.

I fixed it.

aspireonelover

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
I "think" apple's faking this patent to trick their consumers into thinking that they have this "advanced" technology.
OR...
Oh well, apple's never getting my money XD

Status
Not open for further replies.