Apple Patents "Always On" Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

timaahhh

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
Innovative...

I guess it will be cool to always see the interface, won't that cause burn in though? The fact that the thing will always be on has gotta offset some of the burnin reductions of a low powered light.

Colegade

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]timaahhh[/nom]Innovative...I guess it will be cool to always see the interface, won't that cause burn in though? The fact that the thing will always be on has gotta offset some of the burnin reductions of a low powered light.[/citation]

LCD's don't get burn in, but rather image retention. A form of ghosting after a long time displaying a particular image (especially at high brightness) After time these will eventually fade and really aren't noticeable at all in normal uses. I'm sure that these use such a low-level backlight on them make it quite irrelevant anyway, not to say it was in the first place.

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
"his is one technology that would be greatly appreciated by all iPhone users"

You mean all users that go out and buy another, updated iPhone for this feature.

resonance451

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
I would definitely like this feature. I'll be happy to plunk down the cash for the next iPhone. Given all the money I end up spending on portable electronic devices, my iPhone actually lowers my expenses compared to what I was dealing with.

Milleman

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
The feature is good, but I'm amazed that anyone actually could patent the use of a second LED to light a display. The patent claims are getting more and more silly. I'm amazed that the patent office actually approves such things. Could I patent the use of a extra battery powered light outside my house, that lights up the doors keyhole so I can turn off my stronger normal lights? I hardly think so. But for lighting up an display, that works appearently fine. The patents are getting more and more ridiculus. I beleive the whole idea of "patent" strongly misused today.

Gryphyn

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
I'm surprised, amazed, and befuddled by the fact that the sheepphone doesn't have some way to let the user know they have a message at a glance, without requiring user action. You know, like a blinking light, or a soft glowing ring around the screen, someting. Something that so many other, less revolutionary phones have.

I know it is an amazing phone, and was very innovative, but come on, another overlooked standard feature? I suppose it is okay though, none of their customers noticed. Baaaah. ;)

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Next call to Crapple customer service: My backlight burned out, and I can't see the display anymore.
Answer: Sir/Maam, You will need to purchase a new revision XXX iCrap, please send us $300 of your money for this service.

Status
Not open for further replies.