Apple Patents Sponge Dock, Tamper-proof Labels

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
All Apple needs to see if an Apple product has been tampered with is the serial number: If the device is over a year old and the thing still turns on, it must have had a user-replaced battery, and therefore the item has been tampered with...

lifelesspoet

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]All Apple needs to see if an Apple product has been tampered with is the serial number: If the device is over a year old and the thing still turns on, it must have had a user-replaced battery, and therefore the item has been tampered with...[/citation]
Strange, i guess the battery fairies replaced the battery on my shuffle while I was sleeping. They do exist!

G

Those labels sound suspiciously like the COA labels that Microsoft has been using for years now which are easily damaged if one tries to remove one or such as the ones which seal the Windows software packages, tear when you open the package.

ouch1

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
Umm the tamper proof label's and seals have been around sincethe 1960's. I seriously doubt they will get that patent.

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
How can they patent technology which checks if the device has been opened? They've used labels like this for years on multiple electronics. If that patent is granted it will be another fail for our patent industry.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
pieces of paper, plastic, or a metallic foil that tears or otherwise becomes damaged if the case of the device is opened.

Apple Genius : "Sir, I just opened your iPod and found out the security label inside is broken. The warranty is void."

Customer with half a brain: "Of course it's broken, you just opened it."

Apple not so Genius : "..."

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
The dock seems interesting, but is little better and an adjustable dock.

If they get the tamper label I'm storming the patent office. That has been used for decades.

spongebob

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
[citation][nom]ssalim[/nom]Soon spongebob squarepants will be sued by apple because of its similarity in name.[/citation]
Damn... time to change my username?

bogcotton

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
When I first read
One that will prevent users from 'tampering' with their device
I thought it was something crazy like those die ejectors they use to prevent people from stealing clothes. I'm pretty sure that within the (slim) minority of people who take a screwdriver to their iphone, there is an even smaller minority who care about losing the warranty.

Do they really need to patent something which is basically just like the stickers over screws on cameras?

Ridik876

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
I had the same thought as Zak...how would they check if the foil is broken without breaking the foil? I highly doubt they would sacrifice aesthetics by putting in a window. I know there's a simple solution so someone please provide one.

Status
Not open for further replies.