Apple Stores Blocking Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I'd have to agree with you there. While I have no intention of using a Mac, that doesn't mean I hate anything Apple. I figured I'd get some good hands time with a few units.....never again. I never felt so sufficated in all my life.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
They’ll want to check out some news headlines, maybe sign into Gmail, watch a video on YouTube, update their twitter and more than likely check their Facebook.

If this is a mac buyer's idea of "computing", I have a wonderful computer to sell you for $1,999. It will look just as shiny as that Mac, I swear! Go ahead and make out two checks, one for $400 to "newegg.com" and $1599 to "cash".

Seriously, checking facebook/twitter/whatever on a prospective new computer is akin to foregoing a test drive on a car in order to repeatedly lock and unlock the doors because that's the most important feature to you.

G

I hate apple stores. That's why when I get dragged into one by my apple loving friend I always change every keyboard input to dvorak. It's funny watching people try to figure out what is wrong with the darn thing.

G

LOL, nice reference to two girls, one cup. You're gross.

Wanker79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2008
[citation][nom]Mutz[/nom]I hate apple stores. That's why when I get dragged into one by my apple loving friend I always change every keyboard input to dvorak. It's funny watching people try to figure out what is wrong with the darn thing.[/citation]

That's just mean. Funny...but mean.

macer1

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
this made news why ???????

another late breaking story at Toms...... you know its ground breaking when the have to mention 2 girls one cup.....

god get an editor to filter this crap out.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]Mutz[/nom]I hate apple stores. That's why when I get dragged into one by my apple loving friend I always change every keyboard input to dvorak. It's funny watching people try to figure out what is wrong with the darn thing.[/citation]

That's pretty good, when I go to best buy I like to switch the desktop to tubgirl or sometimes goatse.

G

I always enjoy a good reference to a couple of girls and a beverage container.

G

Actually, If you walk into any Best Buy or Circuit City you will notice that almost all of their demo computers are not connected to the internet. Probably to prevent the common folk from installing or downloading viruses and other malware. I'm sure that the slobbering masses appreciate a warm landing spot like an Apple Store where they can actually go online and experience the web á la Mac.

That said, I too hate Apple Stores. Limited inventory peddled by shiny happy apple cultists who have no clue what they are selling or how one brand or model of inventory compares to another. Don't expect to carry on an intelligent conversation with anyone other than a "Genius" whom you'll have to schedule an appointment with to talk to.

I called one of the stores in California the other day to find out if the new 17" MacBook Pro was in stock in the local store. The voice prompts informed me that I could "book" a personal shopping appointment. I thought wtf, "personal shopping appointment"?

It reminded me of the restaurant scene in Steve Martin’s movie "LA Story", where, to get a table he has to schedule an appointment to make a reservation and is vetted by the Fourth Reich Bank of Hamburg before being told he’s not rich enough to order the duck. Apparently customers at Apple Stores must do the same to view Facebook.

Drink the nice apple flavored KoolAid...

kzVegas

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
To curnel_D; How many computer-related retail stores have you been in that don't have people who try to sell you something and their knowledge is usually less than a typical computer user? I've been to all kinds of tech-related retail stores and Apple stores and audiophile/videophile stores tend to be among the best. So what if Apple blocks web-sites they could make it so that you could only access www.apple.com.

resonance451

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
Wow, Tom's Hardware references 2girls1cup. Hot.

I was in an Apple store a few weeks ago and one guy came in and started looking up these (albeit non-nude) border-line explicit looking pictures of scantily clad women while playing Wu-Tang Clan and other stuff as loudly as the integrated speakers would allow it. I rofl'd, and nobody really tried to stop him. I would think they'd like to avoid having to stop a customer, which is why rather than setting a limit on the machine, they can instead stop an activity altogether. Smarter that way. Otherwise, the stores would get a bad reputation for being even more pushy than they are.

resonance451

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
[citation][nom]kzVegas[/nom]I've been to all kinds of tech-related retail stores and Apple stores and audiophile/videophile stores tend to be among the best.[/citation]

Certainly not in my experience. I have two friends working at an Apple store, and they're the exception, but everybody else in the ones I've been in has absolutely no clue what they're talking about. I appreciate the Mac for what it is, but I get tired of misinformation and pseudo-fact and having the Mac myth spewed at me by someone who doesn't even understand what a chipset or processor is. The Mac is not for people who are particularly computer literate, nor is it for system builders. At best, it's for GUI freaks who specialize in areas that require a lot of computer use but not much of any knowledge of the computer itself. I know a lot of graphic designers that know nothing about computers and use the Mac because they're told that's what is "cool". As a video editor, computer builder, web designer, and music producer, and one who has used Macs and PCs throughout the years, I find that my performance isn't increased one bit by using a Mac over a PC, and with my PC, I can fix and diagnose any error within seconds, though there hardly ever is one, because I have complete control over both hardware and software and run a tight ship in that sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.