Apple Sues Motorola Over Multitouch Patents

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
No need to worry about Apple or Motorola in these battles. The lawyers will win and the customers will pay for any settlements. The companies and their shareholders will be largely unaffected.

onyx_64

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
" 'touchscreen device, method and graphical user interface for determining commands by applying heuristics' "
Htf can one patent a basic idea?! If it was the technology behind multitouch, that at least is understandable... What next? the keyboard?!

cashews

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
In the mobile phone industry patents are going to strangle innovation. A major overhaul of the system is necessary asap.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]cashews[/nom]In the mobile phone industry patents are going to strangle innovation. A major overhaul of the system is necessary asap.[/citation]
Agreed. The patent system is cr@p. I would be very inclined to vote for a Senator/president who wishes to fix this mess than one who won't.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
method and graphical user interface for determining commands by applying heuristics'
I wish patents were more specific. This patent basically says that every touchscreen device available is subject to lawsuit from apple. Apple is monopolizing the market with all these stupid patents, and THAT is ilegal. Really how the heck can you file 6 multitouch patents. I really hope congress does something with this stupid patent system.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Proview suing apple, whos suing motorola whos suing HTC, who's suing RIM, who's suing Google, who's not suing anybody...

Its like a man train circle jerk of patent suing.

mastadisasta_31

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
I work in the Point of Sale business and I have been working on touchscreens since 1998. How in the hell does apple own the rights to something that was invented by someone else?
I don't blame apple for retaliating, It's just that I don't get how they think they own the rights to touchscreens.

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
I patent mobile processors at default configuration at 1 Ghz or higher. I now hereby sue Apple's A4 processor for being clocked at 1 Ghz.

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
In a world where companies invent patents and not actual technology, lawsuits are big business. In fact, they are fast becoming the only business.

kewlx

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
I should go patent " Tracea constriction that allows air to fills cellulites in the body" then patent "the ability to institute a process in law against another person, item, or thing, in any way, type, or form" That way when people breathe i can sue them for infringing and when they counter sue I can sue them for suing me cause I own the patent for suing

x3style

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
[citation][nom]kingssman[/nom]Proview suing apple, whos suing motorola whos suing HTC, who's suing RIM, who's suing Google, who's not suing anybody...Its like a man train circle jerk of patent suing.[/citation]

The smarter side concedes, notice the last one? Google is busy enriching us with new technologies and stuff for the people while the others are busy sue-ing they're asses off.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
These lawsuits are so stupid. Ironically enough Motorola fired the first shot in this battle with a ridiculous lawsuit of their own. This lawsuit from Apple is merely Apple firing back. So stupid. It's a great time to be a lawyer though I suppose. With how pathetically sue-happy Americans are it can't possibly be that difficult to find good work.

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
Standard procedure to gain access to the patents of the opposing party.
However, I was always amazed how quiet Apple remained so far when Android phones used virtually the same multi-touch interface as in the iPhone. Not sure who actually invented multi-touch and gestures, but I would guess it wasn't Motorola.)

Status
Not open for further replies.