Apple Talking with Media Execs Over Siri-Based TV, Streaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
1. Use wireless streaming technology to access content.
2. Recognize the end-user across multiple devices.
3. Respond to user voices and gestures.
4. Watch a video on one device and continue on another.
5. Control content using iPhones and iPads.
6. Store purchased content in the cloud.

My solution:

1) Use wires that I already have to access content
2) Watch videos on a decent screen that doesn't mess up my eyes and don't bother with "multiple devices"
3) Watch ONE video at a time instead of madly changing channels and stuff like so many people do today so I don't need "voices and gestures"
4) Do NOT continue watching once I'm away from my decent screen so that I don't care about continuing a video on another device
5) Control content by using the technology that's been around for years - remote controls (and I have software for that even on my 7-year-old PDA, FFS!)
6) Store "purchased" content on my hard drive and nowhere else so that my privacy and my content don't get controlled by "the cloud"

Problem, Apple? :D

All it takes to end a fad is for the users to get a little smarter.

Sadly, that won't happen, so expect crowds of raptured iZombies claiming that TV is now also "simple" and "creative" ;)

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
I think it takes far less time to press the UP VOL. button than to issue a verbal command. But that's just me.
Funny things will happen when the devices start doing stuff on their own when someone walks or gestures in front of TV. "Sorry, ma, I didn't mean to change the channel, but I really had to go take a leak!"

G

Can't I just use the remote for this? Are we making watching TV too technical for its own good?
Do I need to spend thousands on a Apple TV so it can respond to my commands or know my hand gestures? I got a hand gesture suggestion for Apple. It involves my middle digit.

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
You two guys are the biggest trolls on this site, LOL. TVs have been stagnant for years, now Apple at least attempts to do something new with them, and you two are just being haters because its Apple.

If you can't see the value in issuing a voice command to say "change station to ESPN" or "record Iron Chef at 7", then I don't know what to tell you. I'm sure Samsung will copy it like they did the iPhone and iPad, then you guys can get excited about it!

digitalzom-b

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
I see the value in it, but probably not at Apple's pricetag. It's nothing against apple, but the prices are generally high and I can't see this being an exception.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]getreal[/nom]You two guys are the biggest trolls on this site, LOL. TVs have been stagnant for years, now Apple at least attempts to do something new with them, and you two are just being haters because its Apple.If you can't see the value in issuing a voice command to say "change station to ESPN" or "record Iron Chef at 7", then I don't know what to tell you. I'm sure Samsung will copy it like they did the iPhone and iPad, then you guys can get excited about it![/citation]

Dude, I hate TV. "Stagnant", you say? I say it needs to disappear altogether, not be improved. Besides, change for the sake of change is retarded. And no, I don't care who does it, Apple, MS or Google, it's RETARDED. It's a TV. Watch it if you're dumb enough; but don't make a separate market out of the way you switch channels. If you've noticed, I flame Kinect for the same reason - instead of improving gameplay, they are trying to "improve" the way the game is controlled; that is not interesting for me.

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]Dude, I hate TV. "Stagnant", you say? I say it needs to disappear altogether, not be improved. Besides, change for the sake of change is retarded. And no, I don't care who does it, Apple, MS or Google, it's RETARDED.[/citation]

I don't even subscribe to TV service (for the same reason), but that doesn't mean I don't see the value in some of the things Apple is doing.

anonymous32111

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
[citation][nom]getreal[/nom]You two guys are the biggest trolls on this site, LOL. TVs have been stagnant for years, now Apple at least attempts to do something new with them, and you two are just being haters because its Apple.If you can't see the value in issuing a voice command to say "change station to ESPN" or "record Iron Chef at 7", then I don't know what to tell you. I'm sure Samsung will copy it like they did the iPhone and iPad, then you guys can get excited about it![/citation]

LOL, TV's have been stagnant for YEARS. Don't mind the fact that TV's have been coming out with so many advancements in the past 2-3 years (better refresh rate, 3d, passive 3d, various color enhancements, internet, now wireless recievers) that they are now one of the most affordable things to buy (unless you want the latest and greatest of course).

I'm sorry but using Siri to operate a TV is HARDLY innovative. You can already do all that with a smartphone, only difference is you actually have to use your brain and code some of the features you would like.

Im sure they will make a nice TV to interface with all the other overpriced Apple products, but who cares?

rawful

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011

And here is getreal once again. Claiming two other people are trolls. Funny. Getreal is the guy who is always defending apple in every thread or calling everyone who dislikes apple a troll. Not to mention trolling in every thread about a non-apple product. Is he an Apple employee or just an idiot? There is no way to tell for sure, but I am guessing both. Apple sucks. I am still amazed that the company was saved by an overpriced mp3 player.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]Dude, I hate TV. "Stagnant", you say? I say it needs to disappear altogether, not be improved. Besides, change for the sake of change is retarded. And no, I don't care who does it, Apple, MS or Google, it's RETARDED. It's a TV. Watch it if you're dumb enough; but don't make a separate market out of the way you switch channels. If you've noticed, I flame Kinect for the same reason - instead of improving gameplay, they are trying to "improve" the way the game is controlled; that is not interesting for me.[/citation]

The conventional TV networks are going to die in the next 10-20 years, but the TV as a device to watch Movies and "TV Shows" is not going to go away until we have some sort of implants that project images directly onto our retinas.

Video-on-demand like services are the future of TV. Apple knows that and that's why they are trying to get in on the action.

Voice control does not make much sense when just changing channel. It makes a lot of sense when you have tens or hundreds of thousands of movies and TV shows to choose from.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
Excellent! When I'm sitting on my couch watching TV and eating potato chips I get tired picking up the remote every time I need to change channels. Besides, the chip oil gets on it. This is badly needed!

headscratcher

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
I do this with my XBOX360 on Netflix all the time and I must say that it is very nice. I can select a show, play it, pause it, whatever, with a few voice commands and the thing always understands what i am saying. I was skeptical, but am impressed with it now. Don't have to turn my XBOX controller back on and wait for it to sync up, don't have to worry about where the remote control is. "XBOX, bing some show." "XBOX, pause." "XBOX, resume." "XBOX, play next episode."

Doesn't work when I say "XBOX, raise shields." though. Maybe with the 720.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
According to Google's CEO, Android will be on every major manufacturers smart TV in 2012. If I was Apple, I would have started with the LG's ,Sony's and Samsung's to get my product launched. Unfortunately Apple is lawsuit happy and probably pissed off all of the big TV manufacturer. I really don't see how having HBO on your side will work to get crApple TV out of the grave, even iff you include a gimmick like Siri.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]TV as a device to watch Movies and "TV Shows" is not going to go away until we have some sort of implants that project images directly onto our retinas[/citation]

... or until people will get smarter and quit watching this crap. It rots your brain.

zachusaman

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
"we will use siri to act as a poor replacement for the remote, though we will sell the remote as an expensive accessory."
and yes, we will patent troll anyone who tries to do something similar to us.

digitalzom-b

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
[citation][nom]zachusaman[/nom]"we will use siri to act as a poor replacement for the remote, though we will sell the remote as an expensive accessory."and yes, we will patent troll anyone who tries to do something similar to us.[/citation]

And by similar, you mean an expensive remote as an accessory. They can patent that right? I think they're trying to patent the expanding and contracting of lungs for air intake and output.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS