you for sharing this technology!!!!!

guanyu210379

Distinguished
As iPhone4 users you have to:
1. Hold your iPhone4 in the right way.
2. Live with iTunes handcuffs.
3. Ávoid PDFs.
4....what will come next??

iPhone is really a good product, if I may say so.

palladin9479

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
So... the hacked phones already have an update that fixes the issue, but Apple doesn't know how to fix it and instead wants it's user to stop supporting Adobe's products? Right.....

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]guanyu210379[/nom]As iPhone4 users you have to:1. Hold your iPhone4 in the right way. 2. Live with iTunes handcuffs.3. Ávoid PDFs.4....what will come next??iPhone is really a good product, if I may say so.[/citation]
/sarcasm?

I would say it is a targetted campaign against Adobe by Apple.

Adobe should retailate by no longer providing Mac supported versions of any of their software, lets see how long the industry continues to use Macs when all the expensive Pro tools used for content generation are PC exclusive.

Apple would back down in good time.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
'As iPhone4 users you have to:
1. Hold your iPhone4 in the right way.
2. Live with iTunes handcuffs.
3. Ávoid PDFs.
4....what will come next??

iPhone is really a good product, if I may say so.'

1 - No you don't. I can hold my phone any way I want to and it works fine. Flat out lies wont convince the educated majority, who actually own the phone.
2 - You mean you have to install a program? That is shocking, I must say. I installed iTunes when I first bought my iphone but haven't used it since, perhaps you just haven't got the brains to work out how?
3 - Avoid PDF's - fair enough, the one valid criticism, now (which has affected nobody). Lets compare that to the Android security problem where you couldn't use public internet FULL STOP without sharing all your details with the world.

Bitter, bitter fool :)

kristoffe

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
lolz, I have heard since 1989 how apple is pro for design, while of course printing color swatches for pattern generation... on a commodore amiga and thermal color printer. those were the 2ci 2cx designs apple had, which looked like ibm systems, haha. Then it just got more rabid over time. Anytime there was an advance in windows and or the same software released in the windows world, some rabid mac fanboy had to blabber something marketing related. Then I literally had a tech guy I knew there years later tell me Adobe CS1 rotated files on the new macs up to 40x faster than a windows system. so I went back to my P133 with 128mb ram, rotated a file exactly as he mentioned, and it was about 20-25 seconds FASTER than the pro series macs at the school the just bought.

enter the world of dual processor pc systems, pii dual 300 supermicro boards, and then the p4,amd series counter parts, overclocking, quad displays etc. everything pc when built was far faster than anything apple could release. ever.

now the true intel mac world, everything can be hackintoshed to do both. why does hackintoshing exist? because there is no real need ever to use a mac for editing video, audio, 3d, or design and nobody but the most foolish super ego issue people are going to drop $3000 for a laptop or desktop that has the same components as a tigerdirect quad core kit at $399.

now that the apple marketshare is hitting harder and expanding, the hackers who rely on large targets like a shotgun spray does are finding it useful to target the iOS and os X. Apple pretends it doesn't happen and secretly has AV in it's OS. lolz. The main problem with Apple is it's marketing hype, the engineers and designers are top notch, parallel honestly to many companies like SONY and DELL. It's almost 99% marketing fluff and for 20 years now the company and it's mactard lemming followers are just cabbage patch doll collectors hoping nobody notices they are wearing the emporer's new clothing.

nothing beats a graphic design company saying "oh well we use macs. we're designers" really? and you drool while reading mostly? Nothing Adobe runs any differently on WIN|MAC at all. Oh look type face conversion, 5 seconds. oh my, a spline. oh wow, a gradient. amazing, actionscript 3 text files, and wow AVI|MOV wrappers ontop of the real compression from various german algorithms. NOTHING is superior about macs, and now they're the target of every nasty hacker group out there.javascript:%20void(0);

:) WIN.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]CsG_kieran_2[/nom]I don't think Apple will ever pix this hole...They'll just wait for someone to get hacked and blame Adobe.[/citation]

The exploited vulnerability is apparently in a open source library called FreeType. It's neither Apple's nor Adobe's code.

I wonder if other systems using FreeType are vulnerable, too.

spookyman

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
[citation][nom]guanyu210379[/nom]As iPhone4 users you have to:1. Hold your iPhone4 in the right way. 2. Live with iTunes handcuffs.3. Ávoid PDFs.4....what will come next??iPhone is really a good product, if I may say so.[/citation]

Oh..

5. You are not allowed to use Adobe Flash

G

This just in... Apple warns iOS users not to turn on their iPhones..

aries1470

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
(Sarcasm/rant)What? What is 'Adobe'? Do we need to have that on our system? Tsk-tsk... nooo... to complicated to keep a water'loose' ship floating. Antenna issues? Oh no, software update and it will work.. as long as you are not to far from the towers? Rural? oh my, we are city slickers... why go rural?[actual fact: iPh4 has issues at the edge of towns in Germany... and Australia where other mobiles(cellphones) do not encounter this issue - GSM versions] Oooppsss. You are NOT allowed to change battery. YOU are not allowed to ADD memory. YOU must USE our SOFTWARE aka iTunes (yes, you can use some other software.. but do you think most people know how?). YOU MUST BELEIVE WE INVENTED EVERYTHING [um.. ok i concede style mostly. Now lets see... cellphones existed before iphone? Check. MP3 players existed before iPods? Check. Videoplayers? Check. Touchscreen Tablets? Check. WiFi? Check. Companies wanting SoC to their own specifications? Check. Become a dictatorship? Check. Delete postings about security issues and not acknowledge problems.. umm ok, maybe a check? ;-) Not allaw people to freely distribute what they want but force them to go through checks and validations and if it is liked get approved to be put in a 'closed' appstore? Nope, Apple was first. I am sure there are many other things too. Oh yes, pay for major OS updates? Nope.. Apple first there too. They are service packs, why pay for htem? tsk-tsk. Noticing a pattern? Apples don't catch viruses... shhh they have 'worms' that eat the apple ;-) Steve Jobs going back on his "future visions & promises?" Sure yeah! simple example: licences for the OS-X and clones! He says he wanted them, but then proceeded to get them back with some strong arm tactics too... Don't beleive me? have a search for: "Apple WWDC _97 Steve JobsによるClosing Kynote" (yes, Kynote not keynote hehe). You will see that he "wanted" other people to be making Mac clones.
Can I upgrade to an iPhone and keep my plan? NO!!! you lost me Apple right then and there when you FORCED the Telco's to your own type of plans a few years ago and still do!
[/end sarcasm/rant] Anyway.

Now the one thing they really are good at is aesthetic designs. Hmmm... going to Japan in the early years (after Jobs came back and took control) for their new lines really paid off, same as MS for their XBox series, but then again, they always did make better looking machines in the early years. Now if someone else comes up with a 'sleek' design, straight away they are "copying Apple". Ain't other people allowed to have some flair in design? Just imagine what the fashion industry would be like if only one 'house' was allowed to design 'great looking clothes'.

Ok, back on topic. They can't plug a (w)hole that they have known about for such a long time? Since 2007? "browser-based exploit has been around since 2007"... Safari? Sure looks like it, never know what animal will come at you. Ofcourse, you can use another browser i guess ;-) Oh wait, that would not be very apple-fan boy(girl) like would it? To use another browser on iOS?

p.s. I am just having a go at Apple and their security of which is extremely slack... and other Apple related stuff too...

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I don't think Adobe has anything to do with this situation. The article says it's a problem with the way Safari handles PDF files, and I'm willing to bet Safari comes with it's own PDF reader. I mean, if it was an Adobe app handling the PDF, then the Adobe app itself probably wouldn't have the permissions necessary to root your phone (each app should be locked into it's own sandbox). However, because Safari is Apple's own app, it probably has permissions to do whatever it wants on your phone, and a built-in PDF reader could leverage those permissions. Sounds like this is Apple's own problem. Got to love Apple's Malware response: "Don't download malicious apps" has now become "don't download files".

mediv42

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
Haha, yet another computer getting hacked. Even when you stupid pc users try to use another operating system, like this "iOS", you get hacked. You pc users and your "viruses" - really makes me feel kind of sorry for you guys who couldnt afford macs. I use a mac so I never have to worry about "operating systems" or "security patches" or viruses.

Status
Not open for further replies.