Apple Working on "World Mode" iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidblue

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
By the time this comes out there is going to be phones on the market that surpass the hardware they are going to put in this thing. Might as well not waste their time and move on to the next thing.

G

Yeah, I'm not getting the smaller screen... that part has to be a mistake. One of the key pieces of the apple "experience" has been the fact that any app written for the iphone will work on all iphones. You can bank on the screen resolution being exactly the same. So, now you won't be able to? That seems just plain stupid. I could see the screen getting bigger, not smaller. I'm confused.

zdzichu

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
hawkbug: resolution in pixel count could easily stay the same. iPhone has stupid small DPI. Other phones and tables provides 800x480 resolution on 3,5" screen.

G

389 0.583s (400k) myvzw.com Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16

I've been seeing these a lot on http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Anyone else read the title and think they were adding a world domination button of some kind?

In regards to the Droid advertisements and a mutual contract, Verizon may be trying to play its customers into a 2yr contract and then get them to "upgrade" in a year incurring a fee of course. All of those fees on top of new users = big $ (in theory).

[citation][nom]hawkbug[/nom]You can bank on the screen resolution being exactly the same. So, now you won't be able to? That seems just plain stupid. I could see the screen getting bigger, not smaller. I'm confused.[/citation]To clear your confusion you need to remember this is Apple. Backwards compatibility are foreign words to them. If something comes out backwards compatible that's fine but if it turns out its not, "oh well," the macaholics will declare it a feature.

dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
- 2.8in is highly unlikely to be the "new" screen size, but rather another offering in the lineup (perhaps the $100 version of the new phone, rather than last year's model).

- How is it surprising they are advertising the DROID as an iPhone killer? This is 9 months away, and Verizon stands to lose a lot of money in that time if they don't get people to their service. And it's not going to make the iPhone unappealing for those who still want one and can get it with better coverage or are fed up with ATT but love their phone. Besides all that... the iPhone next year is not likely to be the iPhone this year that they are advertising against. They could advertise the new iPhone as the DROID killer in 9 months (they won't, just saying).

susan33

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
> That's surprising considering the company's attempts to
> portray the Motorola Droid as an "iPhone killer."

There haven't been... nor will there be... any more "Droid is better than the Iphone" commercials.

All the spots are now "Verizon is better than AT&T".

susan33

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
If they did make a "tiny" iphone... how would the add in all the additonal hardware chips... to support multiple carriers?

And imagine how much smaller the battery would have to also be.

Ugh.

Harder to read, smaller screen.
Smaller, less powerful battery.
But DOES support Verizon.

Gain 1 feature... but lose 2 others.

G

I think Apple you are going to be a little to late in the game now.
Should have dumped AT&T after a year.I think Verizon could care less though. They have not been hurt by the iPhone with AT&T and from the sound of it. AT&T had not great profits with the iPhone. Looks like Apple made all the money.Maybe Verizon was pretty smart after all.
I think after a couple tries some other companies will figure out a iPhone killer. As far as some features that's already been done. Apple is great at hyping a product but its not too long before most user's figure out they don't offer anything special.

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Apple you are slower than a damn replay when it comes to doing the right moves and I guess why you almost never do any. This would be indeed good news way too back in the days. Not anymore.

heffeque

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2002
[citation][nom]frozenlead[/nom]Good news, I guess, for those who have been waiting...but I'd rather have my Touch Pro.[/citation]
I don't understand why it's good news... they are adding support for a dying standard that's actually only used in the US. Even Verizon is planning on going for UMTS in their next generation iteration (with LTE). The current iPhone is compatible with "the world" except with Verizon and a few other US companies, so basically it's not a "World Mode" iPhone, it's a "World Mode + Verizon" iPhone.

Status
Not open for further replies.