Apple Yet to Crack Top Five, Nokia Already Cutting Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGP_Spook

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
The article is kind of a fluff piece in general. The kind of thing where I wouldn't usually bother reading more than the first paragraph.

However, I choose to read the entire article so I could comment and no one could fault me for not reading the whole thing.

The phrase "relatively huge success" bugs me.

Huge means extraordinary..., exceedingly..., mammoth..., unusually great....
Relatively means by comparison to....

To justify the use of "relatively" we need to compare the iPhone's success to something so we can call it huge, but I can't think of anything. I would qualify the iPhone's success as "good" or "better than typical/expected".

If the author was thinking of something in particular to compare it to then it would have been good writing style to mention it in the article, as your typical reader probably doesn't have a ready reference.(example: "compared to other smart phones")

My interpretation:
To me, it seems likely that the author was using the phrase to generate hype or a sense of urgency for his writing(an effort that feel flat on its face).

Less likely but even worse, the author was attempting to pad an already fluffy article.

Either case is disappointing at best.

TG, I expect better.

BGP_Spook

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
You could say that I am unemployed.

My point is TG sells itself as a technical/professional website and that phrase, doesn't fit very well or stand by itself. It needs something to support it.

G

Its great that the over 15 percent in sales growth between the second quarter of this year and the same time last year.Its great to have this.

synjones
Crack Cocaine

Status
Not open for further replies.