Apple's App Store Outperforms Google Play in Revenue

Status
Not open for further replies.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
Well for a long time it seemed that the App Store had higher quality offerings. Some of my favorites are still unavailable in Google Play (ie., DizzyPad and Pinball HD) but it's a sacrifice I'd make again to have my S3, Note, and JellyBean. The App Store is still ahead of Google's Play but not by too much.

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Enough already, this universally known fact has been reported this month by this author, this is lazy journalism of the cut and paste variety. Start controlling the quality of your output or you will lose a subscriber.

ibnmuhammad

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
Uh ooh, here comes the influx on Android fanboys...
guys, calm down, relax, breathe deeply... just click back to Toms homepage and swear to yourselves that you won't click another Apple-related news story!

G

If you are a consumer and you are cheering for a company because it makes more profits rather than the quality and performance of their product then you are a brainwashed consumer. Most apple users are this type of consumer. Android fans do not cheer for any company or company profits, we just want the best damn phone you can get.

benage

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
In my opinion (I've owned both iOS and droid devices) Apple apps are generally more expensive than Google apps. I guess it also depends on the margins that both charge on each app...this would also affect these differences...just my opinion :)

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
Uhm, duh?
Damn near everything in the Apple store you have to pay for.
You need a credit card just to be able to use it, it makes it more tempting to purchase things when Apple already has their tendrils 3 feet deep into your wallet.
You don't need a credit card to use GooglePlay. There are so many free, trial and demo apps unless you've got a great product head and shoulders above the rest people will just turn to an equivalent free app that runs just as good.

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]That just means Apple iPhone users buy more crap at the App Store.[/citation]
or crap is just more expansive on the crap store :D

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
There are two reasons for this:

1. lots of free, useful apps on Google Play
2. lots of Android phones in the hands of people who know or care nothing about apps. I'm an Android user, but I use my phone mostly for basic/quick web browsing, Google Maps, calls and reading email. I have some flashlight app installed and that's it.

[citation][nom]Tomtompiper[/nom]Enough already, this universally known fact has been reported this month by this author, this is lazy journalism of the cut and paste variety. Start controlling the quality of your output or you will lose a subscriber.[/citation]

Translation: stop reporting things I don't like, or else...

maddad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
All the Android fanboys complaining again. Stop reading the freaking Apple stories on Toms. Google has you all by the groin, because they are a propaganda genius. Lots of fee stuff in the Play store alright, but just read the "TOS" and see what you are giving them access to on your phone. Instead of just downing the free stuff try actually paying for some apps on the Play store and Google will take the lead. I own both an Android phone and an HP touchpad with Android on it, and not a single Apple product ever. But my fellow Android users are such whiners, it makes me sick!

abbadon_34

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Easy when: overpriced + stupid people + abusive billing (Apple knows kids buying without permission but rarely refunds).

If Tomshardware started to charge for its "app" most Android users would simply use the web browser to go to a site while most Apple users would pay since they wouldn't know how or assume it's the only way.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]benage[/nom]In my opinion (I've owned both iOS and droid devices) Apple apps are generally more expensive than Google apps. I guess it also depends on the margins that both charge on each app...this would also affect these differences...just my opinion :)[/citation]

Yah like $0.99 versus $0.99....

Basically Android is used in more developing countries where the likely hood of paid apps less.

Android has always been easier to pirate apps even without rooting.

Both have plenty of free apps, but App Store gift cards are also somewhat popular gifts for birthdays and christmas, don't see Google Play gift cards in stores.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]AndroidWonTheWar[/nom]If you are a consumer and you are cheering for a company because it makes more profits rather than the quality and performance of their product then you are a brainwashed consumer. Most apple users are this type of consumer. Android fans do not cheer for any company or company profits, we just want the best damn phone you can get.[/citation]

And yet your username is the same as Eric Schmidt's announcement that Android is "winning the war" because they have higher marketshare.

Hypocrite.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
This is not really news. Ask any developer who they'd prefer to develop for and it's iOS by a vote of 7:3 over Android (latest figures). And it's not just because they could make more money (most iOS Apps are free, so that argument doesn't hold true for most developers).

It's because the type of devices in use are superior on iOS. While Android users love to brag about the GS3 or Note 2 the fact is that most Android devices being sold around the world are low-end pieces of junk. You can still buy brand-new Android phones with slow processors and 2.8" 240x320 screens running version 2.2 or 2.3 of Android. No developer wants to waste time coding for this crap.

This is why Samsung (and Google) don't break down their numbers by device. It looks great to talk about how many devices are being activated per day, but that suddenly doesn't look good if most of them are junk. Samsung loves to report total sales and tout the success of the GS3/Note, but if you look at their financials and take their total smartphone sales and divide it into their revenue you see their average cost-per-device is low (meaning they sell a lot of cheap phones for every GS3 they sell).

G

It's widely known that apple / iOS users are a lot more likely to pay for garbage than Android users. This isn't surprising at all and certainly it isn't news.

Stop posting irrelevant 'news' related to ios/android already..

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
[citation][nom]AndroidWonTheWar[/nom]If you are a consumer and you are cheering for a company because it makes more profits rather than the quality and performance of their product then you are a brainwashed consumer. Most apple users are this type of consumer. Android fans do not cheer for any company or company profits, we just want the best damn phone you can get.[/citation]

Umm, what? The quality of an iPhone is just fine. I've been using one for over a year now and even today it has a good battery life, is fast and responsive, high quality screen, high quality touch, and does what I want of it (text/internet/etc).

It does have its downsides, it isn't customizable, no microSD slot, stuck with 16 gigs forever. Can't "sync" this damn thing with my laptop, only my main computer (Fixed by using a 3rd part program).

I've used other touchscreen phones and aside from the interface lagging behind and being unresponsive half the damn time, the touchscreen wasn't as responsive. I couldn't type fast because the damn thing couldn't keep up.

I'm sure the Galaxy S3 is an amazing phone and i'd love to own one right now, but i'm on a contract and this phone is fine.

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
[citation][nom]tobalaz[/nom]Uhm, duh? Damn near everything in the Apple store you have to pay for.You need a credit card just to be able to use it, it makes it more tempting to purchase things when Apple already has their tendrils 3 feet deep into your wallet.You don't need a credit card to use GooglePlay. There are so many free, trial and demo apps unless you've got a great product head and shoulders above the rest people will just turn to an equivalent free app that runs just as good.[/citation]

Do people actually own an iphone and check out the app store before talking? Or do you guys just assume its the worst thing in the world before even trying it? "OMG the majority like the iphone, its stupid, they're stupid, i don't wanna conform, everyones stupid but me"

/sigh.

Some people man. Who needs religion when you have Apple and Samsung.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]This is not really news. Ask any developer who they'd prefer to develop for and it's iOS by a vote of 7:3 over Android (latest figures). And it's not just because they could make more money (most iOS Apps are free, so that argument doesn't hold true for most developers).It's because the type of devices in use are superior on iOS. While Android users love to brag about the GS3 or Note 2 the fact is that most Android devices being sold around the world are low-end pieces of junk. You can still buy brand-new Android phones with slow processors and 2.8" 240x320 screens running version 2.2 or 2.3 of Android. No developer wants to waste time coding for this crap.This is why Samsung (and Google) don't break down their numbers by device. It looks great to talk about how many devices are being activated per day, but that suddenly doesn't look good if most of them are junk. Samsung loves to report total sales and tout the success of the GS3/Note, but if you look at their financials and take their total smartphone sales and divide it into their revenue you see their average cost-per-device is low (meaning they sell a lot of cheap phones for every GS3 they sell).[/citation]

Hit the nail in the coffin! This type of analysis and market understanding is above the heads of the Android fanboys on this site.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]tobalaz[/nom]Uhm, duh? Damn near everything in the Apple store you have to pay for.You need a credit card just to be able to use it, it makes it more tempting to purchase things when Apple already has their tendrils 3 feet deep into your wallet.You don't need a credit card to use GooglePlay. There are so many free, trial and demo apps unless you've got a great product head and shoulders above the rest people will just turn to an equivalent free app that runs just as good.[/citation]

1. There's more free apps than paid apps, so you're wrong about that
2. You DO NOT need a credit card to access and download from the Apps Store, so you're wrong about that

Status
Not open for further replies.