Apple's Back to School Deal Offers Free iPod Touch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
didn't they do this last year too? pretty good deal tho. i wish more pc OEM's would give student discounts...

Hatecrime69

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
[citation][nom]Nik_I[/nom]didn't they do this last year too? pretty good deal tho. i wish more pc OEM's would give student discounts...[/citation]

Yeah, i know the feeling, I tried looking around for companies that offer student discounts, and it seems apple is one of the only major places that does it (for students at least, some offer discounts to the schools themselves only)

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Discounts are good, but unless you require a Mac for some reason, couldn't you save more than $229 buying a PC? (don't hurt yourself thinking, the answer is yes) Not a bad deal if you want a Mac and iPod, but I think targeting this promo at students and teachers is simply trying to squeeze money out of those who can't really afford a Mac or iPod anyway.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Just about every PC company discounts their machines for students and the deals on the machines only are usually better than what Apple offers but none of them throw in anything even remotely close to free iPods. It almost makes up for the added cost of purchasing an Apple laptop as opposed to a regular laptop. If you were already in the market for an iPod touch this is a really good deal.

computabug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
T_T I thought it was really free... lol guess it's true, nothing's free in life :p Well I wouldn't waste a cent on Apple products, they're just expensive for the brand name and fancy designs...

Square_Head

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
Cheap is Cheap. You get what you pay for. I own a 2 1/2 year old Macbook Pro and the thing is still going strong just like the day I bought it. Say what you want to say about Macs being over priced, but you get what you pay for, high quality. And besides, if I really wanted to run Windows, I just boot in Boot Camp (and I do occasionally for a few games).

For laptops, Apple has the best product available. And the educational discount is a great program. As for offering the ipod touch in leu of a discount, awesome. I needed both when I went to school. There are lots of off hours and time between classes and bus rides home that really make a ipod useful. Why not have both?

cruiseoveride

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
No Apple laptop is going to last the typical 4 years at University. There is only one brand that will survive the parties, the dropping, the banging, the IBM Thinkpad!

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
[citation][nom]cruiseoveride[/nom]No Apple laptop is going to last the typical 4 years at University. There is only one brand that will survive the parties, the dropping, the banging, the IBM Thinkpad![/citation]

Normally I'd agree, but Apple laptops are now a lot sturdier thanks to the unibody design. I remember having someone bumping into me and the edge of my old white Macbook dented and cracked. Now that I have the aluminium Macbook it's a lot harder to have this happen as the aluminium Macbook is better built than their predecessors. However, if you truly have too many accidents or have a lot of those frat parties or whatever, it's best to get a Thinkpad.

Boom42

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2003
The free iPod is not in lieu of the regular student discount. You still receive the same educational discount off of the computer, any software, apple care, in addition to the iPod's discount itself.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]Boom42[/nom]The free iPod is not in lieu of the regular student discount. You still receive the same educational discount off of the computer, any software, apple care, in addition to the iPod's discount itself.[/citation]

Yeah, you can still get your $100 off a $1400 entry level laptop, so no worries there! Seriously though, how do they even get away with calling that a discount? The free iPod bonus is nice, but I bet that 90% of prospective buyers already have an iPod of some sort and are taking the bait of a brand new one in order to justify getting a new laptop. Then again I guess you could always hock it, if value was really an issue.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Already received the email for the offer. Have to buy a "qualifying Mac" in order to get a free Ipod touch. Do not even know why I got the email in the first place since I have never bought anything from Apple and the last thing I ever owned from Apple was a Apple IIe. Wow has it been that long?

timtaylor25

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
Big freaken deal. I can buy a PC (laptop) an Ipod and and a Iphone for the price of an Mac. Only an idiot would think this is a great deal. I see some of you saying that the quality is work it. One saying that you have a 2 1/2 yr old Mac that runs as good as the day you bought it. WOW i would hope so for that price. I have a PC that I bought 6 almost 7 years ago, that runs as fast now as it did when I bought it. It will play almost every game and app out there today, without any problems. And I didn't pay but about $500 for it. Before you Apple Fanboys jump all over me, I have nothing against apple products. They make a good product, however they charge way more than it is even worth and you can not argue that. Even trying to is futile and stupid.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
[citation][nom]cruiseoveride[/nom]No Apple laptop is going to last the typical 4 years at University. There is only one brand that will survive the parties, the dropping, the banging, the IBM Thinkpad![/citation]

My sister's Gateway lasted her 4 years of university, but its still pretty shitty ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.