Apple's Forstall Let Go for Refusing to Apologize for Maps

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmarsack

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
Apple... always looking to find the cause of the issue... not the solution. How is asking for an apology from one person going to solve the problem? Apple, you suck...

cracklint

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
Might as well let the whole QA dept. go and the CEO for putting their stamp of approval on it as well. They knew it was unfinished and they still shipped the phone with it loaded. I don't blame Forstall, I wouldn't be the scape goat either; typical corperate BS.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
@cracklint is partly right. While Forstall may or may not have signed off on shipment readiness, Cook still had the ultimate decision to say "go" or "no go". He said "go", and then followed it up with an apology to users. Not quite the same as what Jobs would have done, but at least he acknowledged that there is a shortcoming in their product that they need to fix. If Forstall said, "We're not ready yet" and they forced him to ship anyway, then the problem lies with Cook. If Forsall said, "Yes, we're ready! Ship this puppy!" then like it or not, he deserves the boot.

stormblade42

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
I knew it. Somewhere, deep inside the Apple main fortress, there is a secret room where Jobs appears (because he went Dark-side and found out a way to exist after death, like Obi-wan). He was thus called forth and paid the price for his insolence... I can imagine Jobs appearing in a hooded cloak like the Emporer would! LOL

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Although it does sound like ego could have played a role here, this is proof that no matter how many rights a person gets (especially given Apple's success from what this guy has achieved), one wrong makes none of that matter. Given it has been a bit of a comical topic for the outsiders on the map issue, it would have been more constructive to have concentrated efforts looking for a fix instead of a scapegoat.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Forstall's just the scapgoat.

EVERYONE new that it was a piece of trash, but they have an all Apple policy which meant they got rid of Google at all costs. My guess is Forstall let them know in a none PC (ie this sucks) sort of way and he got fired for it.

curiousclive

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
[citation][nom]curiousclive[/nom]Why couldn't he have done the apology in Apple's now infamous way like they apologized to Samsung.[/citation]

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
[citation][nom]curiousclive[/nom]Why couldn't he have done the apology in Apple's now famous way like they apologized to Samsung.[/citation]
I would have loved to have seen that, then mass email it everywhere. Give them a taste of their own medicine.

G

OMT! (Oh my Tom's!)
The the autoriti on on Apple meh (typos to reflect reality).

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
Why didn't they just do the right thing and put Google maps back? Problem solved! Or even the next best thing and buy out the Navigon (Garmin), MotionX or Mapquest app.

WhyFi

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
The company with a long history of not apologizing or acknowledging screw ups fired someone for not apologizing?

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
There is more to this story, as Forstall was Jobs' favorite boy, some say his successor. Jobs took his side before in matters generating frictions, and after the "master" died, the apprentice got the boot.
Who knows, and ultimately who cares. He'll land on his feet, I'm sure, if he's half as ambitious as they make him sound to be.

tolham

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
[citation][nom]mikuri[/nom]The problem is that they ditched Google Maps which is the ULTIMATE map app.Fire the person who made this decision. Your app Map app sucks hard time Apple.[/citation]
it was probably tim cook himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.