Approved: Apple's 'Anti-Sexting' Software Patent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lekko

Distinguished
May 10, 2008
Considering how kids spell these days, that software is going to have to work really really hard to catch stuff.

eric_son

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
I like the idea...

However, I think this will just encourage the kids to invent their own language where the offending words are masked inside plain old non-offensive words.

G

How in the hell could Apple get a patent approved on this. There is prior art on text based keyword / bad language filtering from way back in the BBS text chat days. The US PTO doesn't have a clue and just doesn't do the research before approving these bogus patents. I guess Apple now gets to sue anyone who puts a bad language filter into their smart phone?

G

These big companies are just falling over themselves to patent every idea they can come up with, no matter how stupid or obvious...or with how much prior art.

G

It's censoring software. It's not about sexting, it's for censoring conversations by government agencies like China and UAE.
But your mom can use it too.

G

Yes, that's right, condition citizens to be censored from an early age. They'll be great subservient tools for the police state. As if they aren't already, ripped away from the family and schooled in slavery conditions to state mandated education. None of them had a vote as to whether they have to go to school or not, none of them get paid for a darn bit of work they do at school, and none of them have any free time with homework spilling into all the rest of their lives. Why let them have freedom of speach as well.

frostyfireball

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
This is rediculous and there better be a way to trun it off if it's ever implemented. Honestly, who wants this BS except overprotective parents and the likes of jobs. I don't want some software telling what i can or can't say.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Answer: use 1337 H4X0|2 M4D SKILZZZZ

People can always circumvent these sort of BS, teenagers are very crafty for the credit people give them.

G

Step 1. Release products with mass market appeal. Step 2. Brainwash owners of products into unthinking loyal drones. Step 3. Test control of drones by releasing inferior broken new product and watch it sell out. Step 4. Convince Drones any problem with new product is caused by them. Step 5. Convince Drones your values are their values and implement forced controls on your products. Step 6. Convice Drones to lash out at others not sharing these values; and to push your products. Step 7. Global Domination.

IT HAS BEGUN!

Time to stock up on Ammo and Droids!

KingArcher

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
These kind of restrictions are what takes away your freedom and privacy.
Yes I said privacy cause it can send an alert to a 3rd party.
Whats next, crawl inside the brain and alert a 3rd party when you get horny?? Thought police?
There should be a level of freedom.
Everyday we lose more of our rights. It is like slowly boiling a frog in a pot of water.
Wait until this is made mandatory by network operators.

grimreaperx2

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
...how many people that get their kids iphones and **** know what those iphones are capable of? Give a iphone to my parents and they will feel accomplished if they can make a call. Give a iphone to a teenager and they can feel accomplished emptying out the inbox 5 times a day, jailbreaking the iphone, finding new apps, and tons of other stuff. This little censor stuff is not gonna fly for long I believe. Apple is just trying to win over the "concerned" parents because the Andriod phones have hit hit the Iphones hard. Besides kids with "concerned" parents only makes the kids more crafty and clever in hiding and finding a way around things. Just saying not that i have experience in that....really...maybe a little.... :D

*Post edited by moderator* Cool it on the language.

G

If i had a child, i won't bother giving any cell phone. I don't want to bother the child in school anyway.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]grimreaperx2[/nom]...how many people that get their kids iphones and **** know what those iphones are capable of? Give a iphone to my parents and they will feel accomplished if they can make a call. Give a iphone to a teenager and they can feel accomplished emptying out the inbox 5 times a day, jailbreaking the iphone, finding new apps, and tons of other stuff. This little censor stuff is not gonna fly for long I believe. Apple is just trying to win over the "concerned" parents because the Andriod phones have hit hit the Iphones hard. Besides kids with "concerned" parents only makes the kids more crafty and clever in hiding and finding a way around things. Just saying not that i have experience in that....really...maybe a little....[/citation]
Hehe, reminds me how my dad used to punish me by removing the power cable from the computer
i had plenty of spares.

Status
Not open for further replies.