APU Dual Core A4 or 3rd Gen i3 ?

terminator65

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
Hey guys.

I'm looking to buy a laptop but I'm not sure which processor to choose. There are two HP laptops, identical in specification except for the processors. One comes with APU Dual Core A4 and the other comes with 3rd gen i3 3110M.

My use is limited. Mainly MS office, browsing and watching movies. No gaming. Which one should I go for? Keeping in mind issues such as heating up and life and durability of the laptop. Also, the i3 laptop costs around 100 US$ more than the APU A4 where I live.

whyso

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012

The i3 will perform significantly better. However, its unlikely that your tasks will require much cpu power (unless you are a very heavy browser).

Both will be adequate for your current needs. However, at the same clockspeed Intel CPUs are more powerful; probably by about 30%. That means in the long run the i3 laptop will be able to keep pace with programs with ever higher system requirements. That's assuming you want to keep the laptop as long as possible before you buy another and it does not break sooner rather than later.

whyso

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012

Yes, assuming you want to spend the extra hundred dollars go for the i3. If you need speed, go for the i3, If price is your concern the a4 will be fine for those tasks.

In terms of cpu power the i3 will be about twice as fast as the a4.

i3>=a10. a4 has half the cores at a lower speed. a4 gpu is much slower.

terminator65

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
Thanks a lot for your replies. Which one is more reliable when it comes to choosing a long lasting and durable laptop? And does the AMD processor heat up a lot if I use it for a long time?