Arctic Silver 5, is this normal??

Skups

Estimable
May 29, 2015
I recently took the terrible stock thermal paste off of my lenovo y50 and replaced it with some Arctic Silver 5. Before my max stressed temps were around 76?C. Now they spike to 95? right after starting the stress test, and then the laptop thermal throttles to 90. Is this normal for a fresh application of AS5? Is it going to cure and get better??
PS: I've re tried applying AS5 3 times with the same results, and I've tried the small grain of rice method and the spread method.

Any help would be appreciated.

update: after leaving it for a bit, it takes longer to reach 95?

Skups

Estimable
May 29, 2015

I have, and its acting exactly the same. Should I try a different thermal paste?

Skups

Estimable
May 29, 2015

They used to max 76˚ on afterburner after a long period of heavy use. Now any program will spike it to 70/80˚. Its showing signs of bad conductivity between heatsink and cpu/gpu.

What would be broken? It worked fine before I switched the paste

Skups

Estimable
May 29, 2015

I don't think anything is broken. Like I said it just worked. It just seems like bad thermal conductivity. Im not sure if you know, but its a laptop

Skups

Estimable
May 29, 2015
I ended up going at it for one last try, and applying more than enough thermal paste (normally less = more). To my surprise, it now stays under 70˚C at full GPU and CPU load :). Thanks for the help