Are all modern laptops compatible with Windows 7?

shiningwizard

Estimable
Feb 15, 2015
So I need to buy a laptop for work (my company doesn't provide one)... problem is the specs they gave me:

i3 processor
4 GB RAM
Windows 7 Professional 32 bit Service Pack 1

Now, the first two on that list are obviously simple enough to find, but literally every laptop I've looked up that's in my budget (which is 20,000-30,000 INR, roughly $300-$500) seems to have either Windows 8 or DOS/FreeDOS installed (this is something that's commonly done here in India to reduce the price of laptops). I was thinking of buying one of these DOS or Linux/Ubuntu laptops then, but I have a few questions because on one of the laptops that I was looking at, the Q&A section said it is not compatible with windows 7, and that surprised me 'cause I was under the impression I could buy just any laptop with that configuration and get windows 7 (the one I was told to get) installed on it.

Ok, so I have 2 questions:

1. How do I know which laptops are windows 7 compatible and which aren't?
2. I have Windows 7 home basic 32-bit, the official CD... Can I install it and get it upgraded to Professional SP1?

I was mostly looking at Toshiba Satellite and Lenovo notebooks.

The issue has to do with driver support for the various components in the laptop. Windows 8 drivers are not compatible with Windows 7.

For example, the wireless card needs a Windows 7 driver. If Toshiba or Lenovo does not have a Windows 7 wireless driver for that specific laptop model, then you will not be able to connect wirelessly to the internet. If there is no Windows 7 ethernet driver, then you cannot access the internet using a cable.

shiningwizard

Estimable
Feb 15, 2015

So basically all I have to do is check whether or not there are drivers available from Toshiba or Lenovo etc. for Windows 7 32-bit for a particular model? Got it.

What about my second question? Is upgrading from windows 7 home basic to professional still possible?

I am afraid that you are going to have a hard time upgrading from Win 7 Home to Win 7 Pro. There are / were two ways to do.

The 1st way was to simply type in "Windows Anytime Upgrade" into the search box for an online purchase directly from Microsoft. However, that option has been disabled by Microsoft when Windows 8 was released and it was only allowed in certain countries. India was not one of them.

The 2nd way to do is to find place that sells you the Microsoft Windows 7 Anytime Upgrade [Home Premium to Professional] DVD. But they are very rare now which makes that DVD pretty expensive. The link below has it listed for $400 on Amazon. It is cheaper to simply buy the Windows 7 Professional install DVD.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Anytime-Upgrade-Professional/dp/B002JYU5WI

If you need Win 7 Pro, then your best bet is to look for the OEM version of it in your country. In the US it costs a low as $70 to purchase that DVD, but I can't say how much it will cost you in your country.

hope2404

Estimable
Jun 27, 2015
Good evening,

any-time-upgrad is one solution, better is a fresh Instaltion.
It is not true, some Laptop is not compatiple with Win7 or Win8. I have personly two very old Laptops. One kind is an Toshiba T9000 and runs with Win7/Pro (Internet Openoffice some of Diag-Software). Etablished is this noti 1998, and yes the orginal 1Ghz proci is on Board. It makes his work so good as an Netbook from Samsung Anno 2008. An other case weiredness is an Acer 3690 with Win8.1, works well like an Windows cell phone.
Your choice with i3 and Win7 is good. For most user is an cheaper Win7Home enough. China is not so far from India, some components comes from India it self. For Mainbord look in Toaboa when you have already your choice. A lot of HP mainboards are manufactored by Foxcon. Not so bad choice, perhabs better is always possibly, but when I'm looking on your budget, is this a look see.

TRENDING THREADS